FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fuzzy DVDs

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elijahstanfied
Fuzzy DVDs
on May 31, 2006 at 12:26:26 pm

i've recently switched to HDV and purchased the new production suite. i'm loving the dynamic link features and the media encoder in premiere, BUT even with all of these awsome tools i CANT get my DVDs to look good...especially text. they're slightly blurry and smooshed. my work flow is simple.

i'm working in 1080p. all of my text and graphics are dynamicaly linked to aftereffects and photoshop comps and when the video is totally complete i export the video using adobe media encoder. compressing it to mpeg2-dvd, HIghest quality, constant bitrate 8MB. i import the video to Encore and burn. starting with such high resolotion material i'd think the DVD would look awsome, but it looks just as bad as it ever did working in standard DV.

would it help if i worked in 720p then made a progressive DVD?
i'm working with 4:1:1 compression. Is this the major problem? i need someone to tell me, for sure, that if i get a black magic card and work in 4:2:2 that this will fix the problem. do i also need to shoot to a harddrive at 4:2:2?
i've never done anything that's higher quality then DVD, so is switching to 4:2:2 overkill? will i see significant change in my DVD quality? is there something else i can do that would give me a crisper picture?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Fuzzy DVDs
on May 31, 2006 at 3:16:55 pm

[elijahstanfied] "starting with such high resolotion material i'd think the DVD would look awsome, but it looks just as bad as it ever did working in standard DV."

DVD is SD. Your 1080p is downconverted, downsampled and down-qualitied when you transcode it for DVD. For higher quality than SD DVD, you must move to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Personally, I would wait to do that until one format achieves a clear market advantage over the other. No sense in jumping on to the wrong side of another Beta/VHS war.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

elijahstanfied
on May 31, 2006 at 3:29:48 pm

thanks for the info, but i'm not sure if SD DVD's are my problem. i've seen some pretty nice DVD+R's out there. why do the dvd's i buy at the store look so crisp? why do my graphics get abnormaly blurry?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 31, 2006 at 3:35:04 pm

[elijahstanfied] "why do my graphics get abnormaly blurry?"

Depends.

What kind of graphics are they? Titles? Images?

What are you doing to them outside of Encore?

Have you read this Cow article?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

elijahstanfied
on May 31, 2006 at 3:42:44 pm

wow thanks, i've never read this one. i'll these tips a try and see what i get.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]