FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Captioning/Multiple Audio Files

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Raskin
Closed Captioning/Multiple Audio Files
on May 23, 2006 at 5:27:41 pm

My first projects with Encore 2.0 require closed captioning. Has anyone had a problem with this function? My .scc file was prepared by a company that only does closed captioning, so I trust that the data is there. I added it on Field 1, but my client cannot see it. Suggestions?

Also, one client is asking for multiple audio files (Dolby Digital 5.1 and a 2.0 mix)to be linked to the timeline. I said no problem, I will create a menu for user selection. The client said that they have had other DVDs authored for them that require no menu - they claimed the DVD player picks the right file and plays it. I am scratching my head over that one. Anyone seen a "smart DVD player" that can pick the file you "want" without a menu that links that file with the timeline?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jeff

Return to posts index

epontius
Re: Closed Captioning/Multiple Audio Files
on May 23, 2006 at 8:31:21 pm

The answer to your second question is "yes". Many DVD players have audio setup options to automatically select the audio stream with the most channels. There are also options to automatically choose language and subtitles to a preferred language (if available).
I also think that the majority of commercial studio titles author 5.1 as the default audio stream....most DVD players also downmix 5.1 to 2ch for stereo only setups (there are usually options for that as well). Some people may prefer a proper 2ch mix, if so they can choose it from a setup menu on the disc as you suggest.

Erik

Return to posts index

Jeff Raskin
Re: Closed Captioning/Multiple Audio Files
on May 25, 2006 at 4:02:16 pm

Erik,

Thanks for your post. That makes perfect sense, and gives me something to work with in the DVD machine audio options setup.

Anyone care to tackle the closed captioning issue I am experiencing?

Thanks,
Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]