FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad quality final playout

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
frank weber
Bad quality final playout
on May 16, 2006 at 9:20:17 am

The mpv and Mpegs I use get re-compressed coming into (or out of) Encore even though they have a stable bit rate and were used in other authoring software. The quality seems bad (fields mostly)
I used to render without fields when using DVD Pro and everything seemed fine, even on TV's. How can I keep the quality and not have to re-transcode or make fields?
Thanks.

The Answer is 42.

Return to posts index

VINCE BECK
Re: Bad quality final playout
on May 17, 2006 at 5:54:58 pm

Frank,

If you are importing into files in Encore other than Mpeg2, and they are already compressed, you have to expect some drop in quality. The compressor has to deal with a video that is already noisy, and that is something it doesn' t do very well.

Now, do you want to encode Progressive (Without fields) or intelaced. If you are using interlaced you have to watch out for field order. (Lower field first or upper field first). In doubt, try both, the wrong one will look jittery in scenes with motion.

You have to watch the final on a TV to really be sure, intelaced never really looks good on a computer.

Finally, what quality settings are you using to encode ?

Vince

Return to posts index

frank weber
on May 18, 2006 at 10:24:38 am

Thanks.
I'm using mpg2's which I encoded out of After-FX. They worked fine in DVD Studio Pro but are labled as 'Too High Bit rate' in Encore.
Interesting fact is I render without fields (Progressive) now and that gives best relusts. Weird?

The Answer is 42.

Return to posts index

VINCE BECK
on May 19, 2006 at 2:47:08 am

Frank,

In that case, I am gessing you were encoding in the reverse field order as original file.

Sometimes Encore does have trouble recognizing field order and you have to manually specify it.

Cheers,

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]