FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-sizing Compression...

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MissyMoments
Re-sizing Compression...
on Apr 10, 2006 at 2:51:03 pm

I have a video which is roughly 624x352 and about 350 megs. I want to burn this video to DVD, but Adobe Encore wants a file that is 720x480. When I resize it using premiere I get a file that is 9 gig. I have several files to do, and dont have the space to have several 9gig files on my comp.

Any suggestions on resizing and compressing these files?

Missy Moments

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Re-sizing Compression...
on Apr 10, 2006 at 6:20:55 pm

How are you exporting from Premiere? At 9 gig it sounds like you're using uncompressed AVI, which is overkill. Try exporting from Premiere as MPEG-2 DVD, then Encore won't even have to transcode it.

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Apr 11, 2006 at 10:52:18 am

Timothy's method does work, but unfortunately you lose some flexibilty inside of Encore if the file is already transcoded...things like chapter point placement.

I would download the free windows media encoder...import the file into the encoder, re-encode and format to AVI (not uncompressed), then import that into Encore. The encoder is great...and free.

Mark

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Apr 11, 2006 at 6:11:10 pm

Mark- I'm not sure what you mean. If you export from Premiere Pro as an MPEG-2 file, your markers will be preserved as chapters the same as an AVI file.

Also, using another encoder is an entirely unnecessary process, and possibly degrades your footage. If you want a compressed AVI so that you can use Encore's automatic transcoding options, you can do that directly out of Premiere. File > Export > Movie. Just make sure to choose non-uncompressed settings.

Return to posts index

MissyMoments
on Apr 11, 2006 at 9:22:12 pm

Can you guys help me and provide some good settings I might be able to use in Premiere?

Thanks,

Missy Moments

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Apr 12, 2006 at 12:55:36 am

Premiere Pro has some good presets. If you're going to put a total of 60 minutes or less onto the DVD, you can use the 7Mb presets. Up to 2 hours, use the 4Mb preset. Or customize the setting in between.

Cow Leader Mike Velte has a table on his web site that shows you the bitrates you should use for a given length of video to fit on a standard 4GB DVD:
http://www.video2stream.com/using_the_adobe_mpeg_encoder.htm

You might also want to Google "DVD bit budgeting".

Of course the easy way is just to export out of Premiere as an AVI file and let Encore handle the bit budgeting automatically. Just make sure to use a reasonable AVI setting. If you're shooting DV, use the Microsoft DV AVI options.

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Apr 12, 2006 at 6:08:37 pm

Timothy,

I don't use Premiere Pro, so I was not thinking about the chapters inside Premiere Pro. You are absolutely correct, my mistake. I was thinking about footage, lets say from my NLE, Avid Liquid. If I come out of Liquid with M2V files, then I have less flexibility since the footage is already transcoded.

Sorry for the confusion...I should give Premiere a look at, I do own it :-) (Bought the premium suite, loving the dynamic link)

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]