FORUMS: list search recent posts

Author a 480p (24 fps vs 23.973 fps) DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ikarus79m
Author a 480p (24 fps vs 23.973 fps) DVD
on Apr 3, 2006 at 9:15:25 am

Hello guys,

we just finished our 35mm student film which we put through the Digital Intermediate at a 2K reolution. I just received my 2k files and exported them as a 24 fps 720x480 anamorphic uncompressed video.

When I take this 24fps file and import it into Adobe Encore, it prompts me to convert it to mpg, but instead of 24fps uses 23.973 fps. If I try to feed Encore a 24 fps mpeg created with CCE it still wants to convert it. Why is that?

I thought since my source material is progressive at 24 fps i should be able to make a 24 fps DVD. Was I mistaken? Is there no such thing as a true 24 fps DVD? I thought I was able to make a 24 fps DVD which if played through a Progressive Scan DVD player to a Prgoressive able TV will just show at 24 fps, and if played to a regular TV will play at 29.97 through 3:2 pulldown done by the DVD player.

I'd truly appreciate if someone could shed some light on my confusion.

Thank you!

Philipp

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Author a 480p (24 fps vs 23.973 fps) DVD
on Apr 3, 2006 at 9:06:58 pm

Is there no such thing as a true 24 fps DVD?

That is correct. 24P footage needs to be 23.97. The DVD spec does not allow for 24fps, so to work around it all 24fps footage is converted to 29.97 with 3:2 pulldown flags.

I thought I was able to make a 24 fps DVD which if played through a Progressive Scan DVD player to a Prgoressive able TV will just show at 24 fps

I've never heard of a TV that plays 24fps natively. All TV's (including LCD's, Plasma, etc.) run at 60Hz (essentially 60fps). For HD progressive material they just don't change the image every frame. For non-HD displays 3:2 pulldown is used to match the interlaced display. 24fps produces a noticeable flicker to the eyes, and it would be terrible with a bright video display. (Even film projectors run the shutter in front of each frame at least twice to avoid flicker.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]