FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 and 1/2 hour project. Need Help

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Cinquina
3 and 1/2 hour project. Need Help
on Mar 21, 2006 at 9:43:40 pm

I just completed editing a 3 and 1/2 hour play. After I add an intro sequence, credits, some interviews, motion menus it will probably be around 3 and 3/4 hours. My question is; how do I author this? I have a dual layer dvd burner, but if I want to maintain the best quality video, I can not fit it on one. Is there some setting that will make it all fit and wont sacrifice "noticeable" quality? If I have to go to (2) DL DVDs and the jackets, I will see very little profit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Joe Cinquina

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: 3 and 1/2 hour project. Need Help
on Mar 22, 2006 at 7:00:09 am

It's quite doable to cram such a lot of stuff onto a DVD, but it all hinges on the transcoding. For that I think Encore and all the other Adobe tools are not ideal in your case. You should look into other tools such as ProCoder, TMPEG or Cinemacraft. If you want to put it all on one disc, your data rate will be very near the lowest possible threshold (about 3.5 Mbits) and you will definitely have some scenes that will suffer. You could only avoid that if you transcoded those critical parts separately and then chopped them together with an MPEG-II native editing tool such as MPEGVCR. It's very time consuming and not very precise (due to having to work within the GOP structure) and may not be practical for you at all. Of course you'd also have to take into account the investment for all the additional tools... So I guess you're in a loose-loose situation anyways (in terms of making a revenue), no matter which way you go.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Mar 22, 2006 at 6:12:13 pm

I would think that this would fit onto a dual layer and still look pretty decent. Just make sure that you are set to VBR and do some tests. Make sure that you set it the average and maximum as high as possible as to fill as much space as possible. Your other option of course is to split the file into 2 chunks and create 2 disks. Again, this should be very doable.

Mark

Return to posts index

theholmboy
on Mar 25, 2006 at 5:22:43 pm

I have a simple solution to this, at least if you want maximum compatibility with single layer dvd-r. I have done many projects close to this size and I simply have Encore write the project to the hard drive and then use DVDShrink (freeware) or Nero Recode (Included in Nero 7) to shrink it to fit on a 4.7gb DVD. Both work surprisingly well, especially since one is freeware and they were both created by the same developer (or so I have heard).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]