FORUMS: list search recent posts

No file size difference after transcoding

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Okonski
No file size difference after transcoding
on Mar 10, 2006 at 12:39:00 pm

Good morning/day/night to cover all the time zones. I have been struggling with a frustrating problem. I've added all my assets for a 1 hour and 45 minute DVD, and I've transcoded all my assets that needed to be transcoded, but the file size has not decreased at all. My DV file rendered from a PP 2 timeline is about 28 gig. My audio file is about 2.3 gig (transoding to Dolby). I've selected the VBR 2 pass and brought the file size down to about 4.4 gig, but when I try to build a dvd, Encore still warns me that the file size is too large. It only recognizes the original file size of 28+ gig!
I'm sure that I am missing something painfully simple. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Encore 2.0 by the way.

Best regards,

RIch O.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: No file size difference after transcoding
on Mar 11, 2006 at 2:31:56 am

4.4 GB on a DVD-5 is too big. I'll skip the "powers of 10 versus powers of 2 when calculating file sizes" lecture. :) Do a revert to original and let Encore automatically transcode the video asset. That will create transcoded files that will fit on the disc. See how you like the quality. I think you'll be pleased.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Rich Okonski
on Mar 11, 2006 at 12:57:59 pm

Thanks Jeff. I just did that last night. Took a long time to render, so I have not been able to check the results yet (I am at work). Another quick (Newbie) question. The file shows that it is transcoded. This means that Encore will detect the link to the mpeg file and utilize that mpeg file, correct? It shows the original asset at the 22 gig original file. IOW, I do not have to add the rendered asset to the timeline. Thanks for the response to the basic questions.

Rich O.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 12, 2006 at 10:35:43 am

I don't have Encore in front of me, but in the timelines panel or the project panel, there is a column that shows the transcoded file size.

You do not have to "re-add" the transcoded file to a timeline. Once you have the original .avi file on a timeline you are good to go because, as you noted, Encore will point to the new transcoded asset once transcoding is complete.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Rich Okonski
on Mar 13, 2006 at 3:54:56 pm

Thanks Jeff. I don't know what caused my original problem, but I do know that my re-encoded footage from the PP timeline, encoded with the automatic setting worked and worked well. I did not think 1 hr 45 min. would look this good as it did on a single layer dvd. If I have not used up my quota of questions, in the following scenario, if I encode a large video file with the automatic setting, which ideally would fit to the 4.38 gig or whatever for a single layer DVD, then add assets (audio/video/stills, whatever) that bump it over the 4.38 gig, would I have to revert back to original and re-encode everything to assure that everything will fit on the dvd? I added a short audio clip to a few menus after encoding, and although Encore gave me the warning that my project was to big after encoding the audio to dolby (but not re-encoding the video). I ignored the warning and proceeded to cut the dvd's. The little bit of audio only kicked the total up to 4.41 gig. Just wondering in cases with larger assets.

THanks

Rich O.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 14, 2006 at 5:32:38 pm

[Rich Okonski] "The little bit of audio only kicked the total up to 4.41 gig."

Even though you managed to fit the 4.41 gigs on the burned discs, when you fill up a single disc to its limit (or more), you risk having hardware player compatibility problems. Some hardware players will handle the disc gracefully while (and this is more likely) other players will choke on it.

If you have already transcoded the large(st) asset, then my recommendation with both large and small assets would be to do as you suggested and revert to original, followed by a re-transcode. I'm not saying you *have* to do that, I'm just saying that it is the method that should result in the widest player compatibility.

-Jeff

PS - is there a quota on questions? :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]