FORUMS: list search recent posts

CS2 Layer Comps causing error message

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Strelitz
CS2 Layer Comps causing error message
on Mar 5, 2006 at 8:51:01 am

I am working on a co-project for a client with their graphic designers and got them to design a 10 "button" rollover menu, in 1.5

The designers did a fantastic job, well beyond my PS skills and despite having to do a bit of tweaking in CS2, I then ran out the layers in layer comp to produce my 10 menu sets. So far so good.......

However- any one of these 10 PSD's with lots of switched off layers caused an error. If however I deleted the unused layers all was well. Is this an issue? Is there a maximum layers in PSD's for encore depsite the layers being switched off.
Cant think it is a corrupt layer as at some point all of the laers are used albit now in Compact PSD's not "large ones" There work was done on the Mac and there were substitution fonts but nothing else.

Project is now burnt albeit that I am now going to do a bit more with the graphics so no panic, just seeking an answer

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: CS2 Layer Comps causing error message
on Mar 5, 2006 at 3:36:24 pm

How many layers were in the PSD file?

Return to posts index

David Strelitz
on Mar 5, 2006 at 6:25:53 pm

About 43 which I would not have thought was excessive.
A Flattened BG
10 Text layers as buttons
1 text layer as First play
1 text layer as title which could have been flattened
10x Rollover each with 3 layers-picture with glow etc, text button and info text

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 5, 2006 at 7:52:13 pm

43 layers does not seem excessive. Does this include the hidden layers of the layer comp? What was the error message?

Return to posts index

David Strelitz
on Mar 5, 2006 at 8:22:45 pm

Yes 43 including the hidden layers.
The error message was that something was abnormal (the user???) and I had one chance to save, this message corresponded to the number of menus - so I would get 11 and then a Dear Bill Gates message.
As said I made the layer comps and then after doing a test thinking I was going to consider flattening, I just deted anything not used for each menu.
Another thing I encountered was each menu layer has 10 buttons linking to 9 menus and one TL- when I was de-bugging I noticed that when linking the buttons, to the drop down, the names did not corresond to the link. So Menu David/button Joe was actually linking to Button Pete- despite selecting Joe. I eventually linked via the specify other drop down.
In fact the more I think about it I guess it was not a good weekend to give up Southern Comfort.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 5, 2006 at 9:41:04 pm

"Abnormal condition" is probably the error you received.

Although deleting unused layers appeared to fix your problem, I very much doubt that the number of layers or the presence of layer comps had anything to do with the error you received. I've worked with menus with far more layers, and also with layer comps and have not gotten any error in Encore.

If you could post one of your menus someplace, I'd like to look at it, though.

Return to posts index

David Strelitz
on Mar 6, 2006 at 5:52:16 pm

Joe if you email me david@dsvp.co.uk I will give you a link.

I have another question - today the client wanted to re-tweak the size of Text layers. When I did this yesterday and made layer comps and over wrote the files on re-opening the project the menus updated- today they would not- Are there some hidden cahed files that effect this- tried in the source folder without success.. If it hadnt been for the problems with the 48 layer PSD of course I would have opened from Encore in CS2 and then selected similar layers etc- no chance had to rework each one in Encore PIA!!!!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 15, 2006 at 10:44:23 pm

Encore makes a copy of every menu you import into it...it is this PSD file which gets altered when you edit in Encore, or invoke Edit in Photoshop from Encore. This file exists in the projectFolderSourcesMenus folder.

The primary reason for this design in Encore is to allow "undo" as an option after altering your menu from Encore or via EIP.

Regarding the original problem, I've sent you an email.

Thanks,
Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]