FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Button Set in AE 6.5 for Encore 1.5

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
j
Creating Button Set in AE 6.5 for Encore 1.5
by
on Mar 4, 2006 at 8:54:30 pm

I have used the create button option in AE 6.5 and have assigned each layer accordingly to each highlight. Then I saved it as photoshop layers. When I import this into Encore however, it shows up only as one layer and even having used the appropriate naming system, it still needs to be assigned as a button. IOW it acts no differently than any other element imported into Encore....

According to AE shouldn't I be able to import the PSD file and it be recognized as a button because of the naming system? what am I missing?

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Creating Button Set in AE 6.5 for Encore 1.5
on Mar 6, 2006 at 8:19:32 pm

In your Photoshop file, are the button layers inside of a layer set? This is a requirement for Encore to see it as a button.

When you're setting up your buttons in AE, since AE doesn't have layer sets you can use nested comps. When exporting as a layered Photoshop file, AE will turn nested comps into layer sets.

Also, are you using the Adobe Encore DVD options under the Layer menu in AE to create your buttons? It's nothing special, just a macro that nests comps and renames layers as appropriate, but it sure is handy for setting up your menu in AE.

Return to posts index

j
by
on Mar 7, 2006 at 2:51:55 am

Timothy,

Thanks for your response!...let me clarify...

I am not using photoshop, I was actually referring to the PSD file that I exported from AE.

Yes, I am using the create button for encore DVD option in the layer menu in AE 6.5.

I have 3 layers, all of them text, all the same text just different colors.

I use the create button option and assign each highlight accordingly, then, I choose the Save frame as..option from the composition menu. And yes, I use the (+) prefix when saving.

I have tried both exporting from the single layer nested sequence as well as the original 3 layered sequence each time ending in frustration.

There has got to be something simple I am missing!

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
whenever I import this as an asset into encore, it only sees it as one layer.

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Mar 7, 2006 at 7:10:21 pm

How are you importing your PSD file into Encore? Are you importing it as an asset or a menu? It needs to be as menu for Encore to recognize layers and buttons.

Also, are you exporting only the sub-comp that AE is creating, or are you exporting the master comp that it puts it in? You need to do the latter.

I'm not quite sure what you meant when you said you "use the (+) prefix when saving." The prefix only needs to be used on the layer names, it won't have any effect when put on the filename itself.

In regards to Photoshop, remember that Encore uses the PSD file structure for menus, so you can always double-check and tweak your menus in Photoshop. You have a bit more control there than Encore and AE do over layers and layer sets.

Return to posts index

j
Almost there....
by
on Mar 8, 2006 at 3:59:06 am

Okay, I was importing it as an asset and not a menu so that solved 50% of the problem..(I knew it was simple!)...as far as the (+) prefix, I just misread the instructions, so that had no bearing on the outcome regardless...thanks for pointing it out.

I don't have Photoshop so that is not an option....yet....

So I have got it to work except one thing:
I want to use another text layer(created in AE) as highlight 1, but encore does not see the text layer, neither does it seem to work with still pics....Does encore only recognize solids as highlights?

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Almost there....
on Mar 8, 2006 at 8:00:08 pm

Any layer can be a highlight layer as long as the layer name has the right prefix: (=1), (=2), or (=3). Remember also that highlight layers need to be in the layer set (or in AE, in the sub-comp) with the button.

Other words of advice: Each highlight layer can only represent one color. That's one RGB value only, not even so much as a range of hues or anti-aliasing. If your highlight layer has more than one color value in it, Encore picks one color out of all the pixels. Also remember that you can change the highlight color sets for each menu and you may just need to change those to something more visible.

There's a video about how subpicture highlights work at AdobeEvangelists.com, that may help you understand the limitations of working with them.

Return to posts index

j
Thank you
by
on Mar 9, 2006 at 12:13:20 am

Thanks for your help...for some reason the wording in the manual just didn't make sense to me.

I am sure I will have many more questions in the future!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]