FORUMS: list search recent posts

field issues AE 7 and Encore 2.0

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Harvey
field issues AE 7 and Encore 2.0
on Feb 28, 2006 at 1:13:50 pm

Please help....I've searched the archives but can't really find what I am looking for.

I am creating a looping DVD from work that I have done, and some work that was sent to me.

The work that I create is rendered commercials from After Effects 7, and one from After Effects 6.5

The commercial from 6.5 is an uncompressed AVi rendered in lower field first. It looks great when on DVD.

The other commercials that I received are also uncompressed AVI lower field first...they also look great.

The commercials that I did in After Effects 7 are a mixture of video (DV based from Avid Liquid) and grahpics. When I render these commercials lower field first in AFter Effects, they look terrible on the DVD. I can physically see the field-reversal. The video has been properly interpreted (lower field) in AFter Effects.... The problem with fields is NOT just on the video, but all of the graphics also show field problems. My compositions in AFter Effects are all 29.97 720x480. I believe that the other commercials are 720x486. Could this be the issue ???

I have not a found a place in Encore to specify field dominance. I have checked in the Interpret footage dialog box and can only find aspect ratio settings. I have the production studio...should I import the After Effects comps directly into Encore, and let Encore do the rendering...will that change anything ???

Thanks for any help you can give.

PS...I have searched the manual to no avail.

Mark

Return to posts index

Greg Quitiquit
Re: field issues AE 7 and Encore 2.0
on Feb 28, 2006 at 8:12:56 pm

I posted on a similar problem a few days ago with no response. But since then I got a little better at using the "search" feature here and dug a little further back in the older posts. Something Joe Bowden said was a real eye opener. You set the field dominance in Encore by editing/creating new Transcode Presets. (File>Transcode>Edit Project Transcode presets). Then you need to make sure you set or reset the Transcode Settings for each particular file. If the file has already been transcoded, you will need to "Revert to Original" before you can reset the Transcode Settings. Like you, my first thought was to look in the Interpret Footage dialog (expecting it to work like AfterEffects). Given the number of posts I've seen here (and elsewhere) on this subject, I think this might be a good suggestion for a UI change.

Greg

Greg Quitiquit

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Feb 28, 2006 at 8:17:59 pm

You can't change the field dominance for DVD. It's lower field for NTSC. Not sure about PAL (DVDDemystified.com may know). That's part of the DVD spec, so Encore doesn't let you change it.

What field dominance are your original clips? A quick way to test in AE- Drag the footage onto the New Comp button at the bottom of the Project window. Go to the comp settings and double the frame rate (59.94 for 29.97 clips). Play the footage and look for field issues. Interpret the footage to reverse the field domination, play the comp again and see if it looks better or worse. Whichever looks better is the correct setting.

If your footage is 486, that could cause issues if you put it in a 480 comp but have the position of the clip adjusted so that the fields are on the wrong pixel lines. Encore will take a 486 frame size, though, so you shouldn't be trying to force things like that.

Return to posts index

Greg Quitiquit
on Feb 28, 2006 at 8:29:57 pm

[Timothy Kurkoski] "You can't change the field dominance for DVD."
That's what I thought, and that's why I think it's a mistake (or at least confusing) for Encore to be set up so you to have to set the Field Dominance in the Transcode Settings window where everything else you are setting affects the output of the transcoding process. I left this out in what I said earlier, but what you set here must match the field dominance of the asset.

Greg

Return to posts index

Mark Harvey
on Feb 28, 2006 at 11:53:36 pm

Ok, so now I am stumped...My original post with the bad DVD....well, the DVD plays fine in another player(B), BUT, the 720x486 which were great on the (A) player now look like they have reversal in (B) player....I managed to get a decent DVD using the Adobe Dynamic Link to let Encore do the rendering. I also lowered the CBR from 8 mbs to 6 mbs....I will post more results as I do tests.

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Harvey
on Mar 1, 2006 at 12:52:38 am

The lower bit rate, along with Encore perfoming the render (Dynamic Link) seem to have done the job.

What is weird is that my player still shows 8mbs even though I capped a CBR at 6mbs.

When the rate was set to a max of 8mbs I noticed the player spiking sometimes as high as 10mbs....

Mark

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 2, 2006 at 2:38:26 am

Video is encoded at one rate but the overall rate includes the audio stream(s).

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Mark Harvey
on Mar 2, 2006 at 11:43:31 am

Cool thanks.

So we have to be careful not setting that rate too high, as some units will not playback the DVDs with a higher bit-rate.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]