FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stopping DVDs

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Shunk
Stopping DVDs
on Feb 24, 2006 at 1:17:15 am

I keep getting clients telling me that their DVDs stop in the middle or somewhere during their DVD. I currently burn all projects at 12x speed with a 2-6 MB VBR with 4 as the average. I do two-pass encoding also. I have tried Verbatim, Memorex, and Fuji DVDs (all 16x) and have heard the same issues with each. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? It doesn't happen to every DVD it seems and the DVD will stop at different times... not the same each time. Some of the DVDs that I've been able to check out don't have any scratches on them.

I thought the individual DVD player would be at fault, but it's nappened on new, old, cheap, expensive DVDs too.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Stopping DVDs
on Feb 24, 2006 at 4:25:30 am

I suspect this is a media/burn speed issue. First of all, Memorex and Fuji are crap. There's no nice way to put it. You get what you pay for. Secondly, the faster you burn, the greater chance of introducing imperfections in the burn that will be seen as errors by cheaper and less-capable players. My personal rule is to never burn 16x media any faster than 4x. 8x media goes off at 2x.

IMHO, if you use quality media (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim) and use slower burn speeds, your disc compatibility rate will go way up.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: Stopping DVDs
on Feb 24, 2006 at 6:42:41 am

[Jeff Bellune] First of all, Memorex and Fuji are crap.

I wouldn't agree on that entirely. Memorex DVD+R are actually quite acceptable, but their -R isn't that great. With Fuji it's just the other way around. That aside, I completely agree on the burning speed being way to high. We never exceed 4x and apart from 1 raw medium out of 100 that has a manufacturing flaw we never have problems.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]