FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem installing Encore 2.0 over Win XP64

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Mitchell
Problem installing Encore 2.0 over Win XP64
on Feb 9, 2006 at 2:04:36 am

After loading the Production Suite Premium package over a clean install of Win XP64 (running on a AMD 3400-equipped laptop, 100Gb 7200 rpm HD, 1 Gb RAM) and rebooting, my system "lost" the DVD/CD recorder (HL-DT-ST DVDRW GCA-4080N). Device Manager indicated that all the drivers were present, including PxHlpa64.sys installed by Encore, but returned an error message stating the device could not be found. Uninstalling the device and performing a PNP search/install returned an error message indicating registry corruption.

I wiped the system and redid the clean install, followed by an install of Prod Studio. The DVD was again "lost." I checked the registry and discovered that installing Encore deleted the entry "DeviceName CdRom0" from the hardware registry.

I wiped the system again for a clean OS install, and reinstalled the complete Prod Studio minus Encore. No "lost" DVD now...

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Problem installing Encore 2.0 over Win XP64
on Feb 9, 2006 at 2:52:35 am

If you are comfortable using the Windows Registry Editor, you can export the key that contains the device and, after installing Encore, merge that exported registry key back into the registry.

Before installing Encore, however, make sure you have a Ghost image of your system available so that you can restore it perfectly to the point before you installed Encore. You will need an external firewire or USB hard disk to store your ghost image. You might be able to span the image across a few DVDs - do a test with Ghost to see if you can back up to DVDs. Me? I still use DriveImage 7 from PowerQuest, which has since been bought by Norton. DriveImage and Ghost are now the same product.

Just out of curiosity, how "clean" is the install of the OS after wiping the drive clean? Are you using an OEM copy of WinXP 64 or are you using the manufacturer's System Restore disc? The System Restore disc most likely won't just install Windows - it'll install all of the other software that came with the computer as well. There may be a fundamental conflict between the OEM installed software and Encore.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Peter Mitchell
Re: Problem installing Encore 2.0 over Win XP64
on Feb 9, 2006 at 4:24:28 am

Thanks for the reply, Jeff! I'll check out the registry merge.

The XP64 is coming straight off the MS gold disk. My clean install process is to reformat the drive, boot off the MS disk and do a complete install, then a download/install of all the updates. The Adobe load-in was done before installing any other software.

I've sent a bug report to Adobe...haven't had the opportunity yet to talk with tech support.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]