FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is Adobe saying about DLT mastering here?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
What is Adobe saying about DLT mastering here?
on Jan 27, 2006 at 4:42:38 am

I found this comment, probably from Adobe, at http://www.dvpa.com/pages/Resource%20Center/Things%20You%20Want%20To%20Know...

Q: Does Encore DVD 2.0 offer support for DLT output?
A: Yes, Encore DVD supports output to DLT tape. For final production, use professional mastering tools to produce DLT tapes for reproduction with DVD-standard copy protection, region coding, and playback controls.

==========================================================

I thought I could just send a DLT tape to a replication house. Do I need to massage the files with some other software first? Is that sentence only relevant if you want to include Macrovision?

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Oscarin
Re: What is Adobe saying about DLT mastering here?
on Jan 27, 2006 at 5:38:43 am

If you want to send a DLT with macrovision, then you would have to pay royalties for each replicated disc. You're better off with CSS encryption. Theres an option in Encore DVD 1.5 and 2.0 where you can flag encryption. It creates each sector at 2054 bytes in the control data (control.dat). As oppose to 2048 bytes in non-encryption.

What you will do is tell Encore DVD 1.5 or 2.0 to flag for encryption. Then, when you send you DLT tape to your replicator. You will have to let them know that the DLT tape needs encryption. They will add the keys during pre-mastering phase to the DDP (Disc Description Protocal) image. Their encoder will add the encryption to the DVD Glass master. Then you will get your replicated disc encrypted. The down side to CSS encryption or any other type of encryption, any person with a know-how of computers can easly decrypt the DVD and make their own DVD-R's.

Oscar Ramirez

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
on Jan 31, 2006 at 1:14:17 pm

RE Macrovision
1. You must create a DLT to carry the Macrovision bit.
2. Your replicator must be licensed to create DVDs with the Macrovision bit on. The cost depends on quantity, but it's very low.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Jan 27, 2006 at 8:43:55 pm

Bob,

I think they are trying to say that Encore IS a professional mastering tool. At least that's the way I read it. You don't need any other software to create DLTs for replication.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]