FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended Dual Layer DVD Burner? Overcoming the issues

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mav777
Recommended Dual Layer DVD Burner? Overcoming the issues
on Jan 26, 2006 at 4:59:02 am

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new DVD burner that can handle dual layer media.
DVD burning is the one aspect of the video making process that has caused me a lot of grief with my current burner and I struggle to make DVD's that work consistently on any set top players.

This may be because of:
- Adobe Encore 1.0
- my burner Optorite DVD RW DD0405
- my transcode settings.
- DVD media.
- user error.

Anyway one thing I think may be useful in solving this thing is a new burner.

Can anyone recommended a dual layer capable DVD burner that works with Encore, is reliable and makes DVD's that can be consistently read on a large number of players?

Alternatively is there a good web site that does a lot of testing of DVD burners specifically for ability to burn video DVD's for set top players?

Would appreciate any help as I attempt to overcome the challenges of DVD burning. Thanks!

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Recommended Dual Layer DVD Burner? Overcoming the issues
on Jan 26, 2006 at 7:56:11 am

Encore 1.0 will not support dual-layer DVD burning, so you'll want to upgrade to Encore 2.0.

Also note that Encore supports on DVD+R DL at this time. Any burner that supports this format should do- Pioneer and NEC devices work quite well.

Disc compatibility is another issue entirely- most really old players will not recognize DVD+R DL disc, but most recent models will.

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
Re: Recommended Dual Layer DVD Burner? Overcoming the issues
on Jan 26, 2006 at 9:31:54 pm

You need Encore 1.5.1 at least to burn dual layer DVD.

Pioneer is good (Buffalo use same DVD chipset in theirs), top-end plextor, NEC, Lite-on (who also make Sony's drives) to name a few....

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Director & Head of Visuals

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

http://www.eighteyedseabass.com

Return to posts index

Mav777
Adobe Encore 2 Fantastic! 2 follow up questions.
on Jan 27, 2006 at 1:28:35 am

Well I've just installed Adobe Encore 2 and it has provided me with a working DVD! Awesome! Thanks Adobe!

Can I ask some extra questions:

1.) Are dual layer disks a lot more unreliable on DVD set top players? ie. In terms of doing a job for a large number of people with many machines...am I better sticking with single layer?

2.) When trying to fit about 2 hours 40 on a DVD can I get away with encoding to Mpeg 2 to a a lower bitrate...ie. Mpeg 2 DVD Pal 4mbs..or is this going to be too dodgy on the quality?

Thanks for any help..really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Oscarin
Re: Adobe Encore 2 Fantastic! 2 follow up questions.
on Jan 27, 2006 at 5:53:03 am

I have used Verbatim DVD+DL discs with an external Plextor PX-716UF. Try not to max. 9Mbits/sec on your transcode. As this will create freezes when playing your DVD's on top-sets DVD players. And burn your DL at 4X. This plextor drives comes with PlexTools Professional software, with this program you can check for physical errors as PI (<=100) and PO fails (=0). Verbatim DL disc will not play on all players, as any other disc you insert to an old DVD player. I bought my Philips DVD player back in 2001, and it plays my Verbatim DL discs. If you go to low on your transcodes, you will lose quality. I heard its very noticable on big screen TV's. If you have that long of video, then put them on 2 DVD-5's.

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/716uf.htm

Oscar Ramirez

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]