FORUMS: list search recent posts

DLT 4000 not found

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CraigT
DLT 4000 not found
on Jan 21, 2006 at 7:54:59 pm

I originally bought Encore(1.5.1) for it's DLT support but found it won't even see my Drive(Quantum 4000) which I just recently bought. The drive works fine when backing up in XP(SP1 and now SP2) using XP's Backup or NovaBackup. I'm using the onboard SCSI on my Supermicro X5DA8. I don't really want to try using other controllers since all of my slots are used up and it shouldn't be necessary anyway since the onboard controller has worked fine with everything. Thanks.

Craig Townsend
Innovative Video Productions

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
Re: DLT 4000 not found
on Jan 22, 2006 at 1:33:45 am

Hey,

I can tell you that the DLT4000 works absolutely flawlessly in my system, in Encore 1.5 and 1.5.1.

Perhaps go to the Quantum site and make sure you ahve the altest firmware for your drive - you'll have to dig around as obviously it's not manufactured anymore. If your drive is not badged as Quantum, then as far as I understand, it actually pretty much is just a quantum drive with a different badge.

I have read that making sure the drive firmware is up-to-date can solve this kind of issue.

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Director & Head of Visuals

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

http://www.eighteyedseabass.com

Return to posts index

CraigT
on Jan 22, 2006 at 5:25:19 am

Thanks for the reply Dominic. I followed your advice and found that Quantum had newer drivers as well as newer firmware. I installed both but still have the same result. My gut feeling tells me that Encore doesn't like the onboard Adaptec controller on my X5DA8 motherboard but I could be wrong. There are some other people having similar problems(DLT drive works with anything but Encore) so it appears that Adobe is doing something differently than others for some reason. Apparently DVDit 6 Pro doesn't have problems for some of those people so maybe I'll have to end up changing apps. if all else fails.
Thanks again.

Craig Townsend

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on Jan 22, 2006 at 12:44:44 pm

interesting....
my DLT is also connected via an on-board adaptec scsi controller....

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on Jan 22, 2006 at 12:47:30 pm

forgot to mention, my motherboard is also one of the excellent supermicro range... (P4DC6).

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

Return to posts index

CraigT
on Jan 22, 2006 at 3:41:33 pm

The X5DA8 does have a newer version SCSI controller but one would hope Encore wouldn't be that picky, at least if it wasn't trying to control the drive by itself. I would hope they go through Quantum XP's drivers since we aren't talking about any great speeds here. :-) The whole thing is very puzzling since it appears many people have no problem but apparently quite a number do(proportionally since most people don't deal with replication).

Craig

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on Jan 22, 2006 at 9:10:38 pm

yep.... well, i can't think of much else other than something obvious like 'have you checked for newer drivers for the scsi hardware on adaptec's site?'

If this doesn't help, I could always ask you "is your computer switched on, sir?"

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on Jan 22, 2006 at 9:15:00 pm

actually actually actually....
something in my mind... somewhere at the back there.... something is saying I've read that after updating the drive, you might want to try reinstalling Encore.

I don't know why I am remembering this... and I'd be perfectly happy to be pointed at and told I'm making it up....

May be worth a try anyway, it'll only take 5 mins to find out.

Return to posts index

CraigT
on Jan 23, 2006 at 1:06:14 am

Thanks for the idea- it was worth a shot- but no help. I did a full uninstall and reinstall of Encore but it still has no clue there is a drive attached. This install was done with the drive up and running to give it every chance of finding out there is one. Thanks again for trying to come up with something.

Craig Townsend

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jan 23, 2006 at 1:20:11 am

Something that comes to mind, Go to control panel - computer management - services - Look at the list and see if the option for removable media might be in manual or disabled. I kind of rember having similir issue with win2k but not XP. The option is definately there though. There might be some other service there also that might be stopping media recognition.

Regards
GC

Return to posts index

CraigT
on Jan 23, 2006 at 3:57:08 am

Thanks for the help. I checked and did find a Service called "Removable Storage" but it showed up as already started. It was in "Manual" mode but I switched it to "Automatic"- it didn't make any difference. I assume this was the Service you referred to since I didn't see anything else similar.

Craig Townsend

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jan 23, 2006 at 4:11:07 am

HI Craig

The only other thing I can think of would be jumpers and terms, but it seems you have gone through all of that already. Are you seeing the drive registered in device manager?

Return to posts index

CraigT
on Jan 23, 2006 at 7:31:21 am

Yes, the drive shows up in Device Manager just fine and I have done backups with it using XP's backup app. as well as NovaBackup. I also downloaded the demo for Gear Pro Mastering and it sees it OK also(I didn't actually write any data though since I didn't have time to figure out the program yet). The drive did show up and allowed it to be selected, etc. though. I also ran Quantum's XTalk Tests and they all passed fine, including all the test writing, etc. It appears to only be Encore that has a problem with it(doesn't even see it). I may just end up doing what some other people with the same problem did- buy DVDit 6 Pro. Apparently it works fine for some people who couldn't get DLT drives working with Encore which makes me think Adobe is doing something themselves. I had a demo quite awhile ago but it expired before I even had a chance to try much with it and I didn't have the DLT drive then anyway to test it. The joys of computers. Sigh. :-)

Craig Townsend

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on Jan 23, 2006 at 4:59:27 pm

Hey Craig,

where are you based? UK?
If it's of any help, you can always send your authoring files and assets to us and we can DLT it for you?

drop me a line at dom@eighteyedseabass.com if you want...

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

Return to posts index

CraigT
on Jan 23, 2006 at 9:20:00 pm

Many thanks for the offer but I'm in the US. Fortunately, the actual project hasn't started yet- I just was testing to make sure things were ready to go. Obviously a good thing I checked ahead of time instead of waiting until the last minute. :-)

Craig

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on Jan 23, 2006 at 10:53:37 pm

ah well - at least I tried!

Return to posts index

BazinoZ
on Jan 23, 2006 at 11:28:55 pm

You will find that if you do a clean XP/Encore install (on a new drive) it will work OK. I had a very similar problem with 3 different computers and neither Compaq, Microsoft or Adobe could help. I eventually built a stand alone computer just for DLT mastering.

Return to posts index

CraigT
on Jan 24, 2006 at 3:53:00 am

Thanks but I found a more acceptable solution(especially since some other app. may cause the same problem when reinstalled). I bought the download version of DVDit 6 Pro this afternoon- it works fine with the drive. I wish it had a few features that I was even waiting for Encore to get but it always seems we keep waiting to get features we want. :-) I mainly use DVDLab Pro but was wanting something half way decent for doing double layer projects and also quick and easy for the simple projects. DVDit should be fine for what I need presently. Does anybody know if Adobe allows reselling their apps. as used and let a buyer register it?

Craig Townsend

Return to posts index

CraigT
on Jan 24, 2006 at 3:57:37 am

Yep, it was a valiant effort! :-) Oh well, at least the DVDit 6 Pro I bought and downloaded this afternoon does work fine with the drive. Encore is definitely doing something funky in the way they deal with the drive as compared to other apps.

Craig Townsend

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on Jan 24, 2006 at 12:26:20 pm

Good luck, sir!

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

Return to posts index

Oscarin
on Jan 27, 2006 at 6:01:17 am

Maybe theirs a conflict between 2 or more files with 2 or more programs that you have installed. What I would do in your situation, I would backup all your jobs onto an external HDD. I would reinstall Windows XP, and install just the Adobe programs. See if Encore DVD sees your DLT drive.

Good Luck,
Oscar Ramirez

Return to posts index

CraigT
on Jan 27, 2006 at 3:54:18 pm

I actually suspect that is the case but there is no way I can take the time to reinstall XP along with my apps. There would also be the possibility that the app. that is causing the conflict is as important as Encore or probably even moreso since there are alternatives to Encore. :-) I do appreciate the idea though and you are probably correct.

Craig Townsend

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 27, 2006 at 4:26:16 am

I just installed a used DLT and a $25 Adaptec 2930 SCSI controller card, chose the "Mastering" option and Encore found the DLT immediately. No reinstall needed. I had a harder time figuring out how to put the tape into the DLT drive than making the master.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]