FORUMS: list search recent posts

compatibility issue

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joefeng
compatibility issue
on Jan 16, 2006 at 4:48:36 pm

We heard from an unhappy client over the weekend saying that the DVD we produced would not play in their brand new sony player. Having checked the discs before sending them out on all of our own players, we're sort of at a loss as to how to test DVDs for compatibility across the board.

Does anyone have any tips? Is the problem caused by Encore, or the burner, or the media, or something else? Or is it simply a player-to-player variable that we can't do much about? Any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
Re: compatibility issue
on Jan 16, 2006 at 10:55:17 pm

what kind of discs did the client end up with? pressed or burned -R/+R ?

it does sound very odd though...

Return to posts index

joefeng
on Jan 17, 2006 at 4:48:56 pm

They got burned -R's. They have gotten stuff from us in the past and have had no problems.

The only thing different is that the mpegs on this disc were all encoded using program stream as opposed to elementary stream like we've done in the past projects for them. And we're now using Cleaners instead of Sorenson.

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jan 21, 2006 at 4:18:53 am

Could it be that your disc is a short duration burn? Some DVD setops will not seek in to the disk and play if there is no data written close to the outer circumfrence of the disk. I wish there were an easy way in encore to fill the disk for short duration projects. I get around this by adding black orphaned timeline to the project. Not supported but works. The Glass mastering process can put the data anywhere in the Photo Mask so it is not a problem for pressed disks.

gc

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on Jan 22, 2006 at 1:38:18 am

yeah, I think you're referring to the 1GB compatibility tihng - discs needing min of 1GB data.... if you create VideoTS and AudioTS folders from encore, ad then burn a disc with an app such as Nero in its DVD-video mode, it will burn it with 1GB minimum.

To be fair, I am under the imrpession Encore does this itself anyway, by writing a very long lead out if you don't have much data to burn.

Otherwise it might be worth trying to demux your program streams to elements before taking them to Encore - I've also read from another authoring app that feeding in non-elementary streams may cause issues....

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Director & Head of Visuals

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

http://www.eighteyedseabass.com

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jan 22, 2006 at 5:08:47 am

Dominic

No it is not just about the 1gb issue. It is about some settop players will not see any data written to
the outer edge of disc, and give a false disc error upon insertion. It occurs with many older players. Not so much a problem with newer ones. The leadout is still not far enough out to be seen. I would like to see other posts about this, but it seems people disregard it, and Adobe has not had much to say about it.

Regards
gc

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on Jan 22, 2006 at 12:48:50 pm

ok fair point, and one which I've not yet come across myself... :)

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Director & Head of Visuals

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

http://www.eighteyedseabass.com

Return to posts index

joefeng
on Jan 24, 2006 at 4:39:29 pm

"...To be fair, I am under the imrpession Encore does this itself anyway, by writing a very long lead out if you don't have much data to burn...."

I find that Encore does not do this...at least with the 1.5 version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]