FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buttons on motion menus

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikey W
Buttons on motion menus
on Jan 11, 2006 at 3:57:20 pm

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, or if it is a stupid question, the answer to which I should have worked out for myself, but....

I need to have a motion menu with three buttons active from the very start of the menu playback until the very end, and beyond. How can I set up the motion menu so that it does not STOP, nor LOOP, but simply pauses indefinitely on the final frame so that the viewer can then select a button?

I do not want to jump to a still menu at the end of the motion menu.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Buttons on motion menus
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:43:20 pm

I'm not sure I entirely understand the question. You want a motion menu where the buttons are animated, but after they run out of video you want them to be still, correct? But then you said that you don't want to jump to a still menu. Does that mean you have other animation in your menu besides the buttons that you want to continue playing?

The simplest way I can think of doing something like this is to build the animated buttons into the menu background (rather than letting Encore create them) with After Effects or Premiere. After the last frame of the animated buttons, replace them with the still buttons that you want and extend their duration for however long you want. To make the menu last indefinitely, though, you'll have to loop back to the start of the still buttons at some point. If you're using audio, you'll probably want to adjust the loop point to match the audio. If necessary, make a version of the audio with a second instance (so that it repeats itself), and then only loop back to the beginning of the second instance.

Otherwise, what you're asking is not possible. The menu has to loop at some point, or you have to make a jump between two menus- the animated one and a still version.

Return to posts index

Mikey W
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:54:58 pm

Thanks. You've answered my question: What I want to do isn't possible in Encore.

I don't want animated buttons at all. I've been asked to simulate a powerpoint presentation. I set up a menu for each slide and, using 'invisible' buttons that auto-activate, I managed to sort out the navigation between them. It was relatively easy until I came across a slide that contained video. I thought a motion menu was the answer. I agree, it'd work OK with a link to a static menu, but I'm trying to keep the number of menus down. The powerpoint presentation that I'm working with has 80+ slides, so I'm pushing my luck a bit - bound to hit the magic 1GB sooner or later.

It's a shame that you can't define slideshow stills to have an infinite duration, like you can in Spruce Maestro. Unless, of course, anyone knows otherwise....

Return to posts index

joefeng
on Jan 12, 2006 at 7:47:58 pm

I had the impression that if you set the menu to "hold forever" without checking the loop box, it would hold on the menu after your background movie clip finishes playing...But I could be wrong.

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Jan 12, 2006 at 11:08:51 pm

The Hold Forever option gets grayed out when you add video or audio to the menu or animate the buttons. It's only intended to give an option for still menus to last indefinitely as opposed to having a duration and then committing and end action (with or without looping a certain number of times).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]