FORUMS: list search recent posts

16:9/avid/encore problem

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dale
16:9/avid/encore problem
by
on Jan 10, 2006 at 12:51:38 pm

Hi ive just done a 16:9 project in avid expro hd and i am having trouble getting it to letterbox
on 4:3 tv sets. Ive tried everything. exported as native dimensions, 16:9 square pixel and 4:3 square
all from avid all as QT ref files but always the same result.

I know i can get the job done via sorenson but i really love the image quality that i get from transcoding
in encore way way better.

interpret footage is greyed out. it only works with avi apparently... avi is dreadful out of avid.

I do the test menu in 16:9 and it letterboxes fine just not the movie. am i missing anything? i really wanna
get this right!
regards...

Return to posts index

davidb
Re: 16:9/avid/encore problem
on Jan 10, 2006 at 9:24:07 pm

I don't mean to sound condescending, but you might check the DVD players' options for 16x9/Letterbox/4x3 and see what they're set at.

Return to posts index

dale
by
on Jan 10, 2006 at 11:41:03 pm

the menu which i made in encore to go with the movie DOES letterbox so its some kind of other problem. i am thinking of maybe trying so come of other encoding software like pro coder. i just don't like sorenson.

Return to posts index

Matt Dubber
on Jan 11, 2006 at 12:16:51 am

Encore looks at the headers of the M2V fole to see if it needs to letterbox or not. Be sure to export your video flagged for 16x9 and Encore should see that and take care of everything. I usually use Cinema Craft Encoder to make the M2V file and if you click the 16x9 box, it works out just perfectly in Encore.

-Matt

Return to posts index

kdawg
on Jan 11, 2006 at 3:53:57 am

Does it stretch the picture? I have a tv in my bedroom with the dvd player hooked into the cable port, cuz the tv is pretty old .. no video jacks.. and it stretches the picture.. the other tv's read it fine.

Return to posts index

Matt Dubber
on Jan 11, 2006 at 4:09:44 pm

A tough one to answer definitively. Technically the picture is stretched on ALL DVD players if it was done properly. The DVD player itself will letterbox the image as it comes out of the player. This is a setting in the DVD player. Typically the factory default is set to 4:3 letterbox meaning that the DVD player is connected to a 4:3 (standard) television set and any 16:9 content should be letterboxed by the DVD player for proper display. The other common setting is 16:9 widescreen meaning that the DVD player is connected to a 16:9 monitor and the output will not be altered coming out of the DVD player...the TV will display in the full 16:9 aspect properly. The thrid setting is 4:3 pan and scan which is really not used to my knowledge and should not be used.

So my theory is that you made the DVD corectly but that DVD player is not set up properly in that it thinks it is connected to a 16:9 widescreen monitor and is not automatically letterboxing the image. I would suggest going through the setup menu in your DVD player and make sure it is set to 4:3 letterbox.

A side note: The easiest and quickest way to figure out if your DVD is properly authored for 16:9 is to put it in a computer DVD player and watch it through the software player NOT full screen. The window should display as a correctly proportioned 16:9 window....not 4:3 letterbox and not 4:3 stretched.

-Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]