FORUMS: list search recent posts

I just wasted 6 hours?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
R. D. Hamilton
I just wasted 6 hours?
on Jan 6, 2006 at 1:31:01 am

I am working on a project that entails taking an older training video and basically breaking it into sections. I had the whole video on a DVD made with a realtime DVD recorder. I extracted the video to an m2v file along with an audio file (this is how I always get broadcast quality video into encore).

So I have the video in encore as a whole, and wanted to link it to a menu I have created to play whatever section of the video the client wants to see. Chapter points. Easy. But I needed the video to jump back to the menu when the section was completed. I ended up creating separate timelines, using chapter points as the in, and trimming the clips in the timeline according to whatever section I was working on.

My problem is this. Even though I only have 1 piece of video with several timelines pointing to it, encore tells me I have 25 gigs worth of video. Therefore I can't burn the disc (which is of course due in a day).

Am I done for? Is there anyway to pre-transcode the video so the timelines act as pointers, rather than actual media. This is a huge problem and perhaps an oversight of adobe.

(think of aftereffects....no matter how many compositions you have, all clips on all timelines are only pointers to the actual media.)

I am in serious need of help. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

ian
Re: I just wasted 6 hours?
by
on Jan 6, 2006 at 2:02:31 am

Hi. Do you have only one m2v/wav file that you made into many timelines?
If your sections are within one m2v file, try using chapter points:
1. create only one timeline.
2. double click your timeline from your proj window to open it.
3. Drag the blue cursor to your next chapter point (after the first one which is already there by default) - in your case, to the next section of your whole video file. Make sure the monitor window is open so that you can see the video as you drag the cursor.
4. Right click on the placed cursor and click "add chapter point".
5. Repeat as needed for your other sections.
6. After doing all of this, create the menu and do the linking. YOu will notice that when you click on the drop down menu of the link item and put your mouse pointer over the timeline item, chapter numbers will appear. Make the links as needed.
7. If you have thumbnail style menus, go the extra mile by going back to your timeline window, right-click on each chapter point and click "set poster frame" so that each thumnail in your menu will show the first video frame of a particular section linked to that menu button.

p.s. you're getting the 25G message because you created many timelines. Even if it's the same m2v file, Encore will think that they're different video files. CHEERS!

Return to posts index

R. D. Hamilton
on Jan 6, 2006 at 3:04:10 pm

So it sees each timeline as separate media. One thing I have found to get rid of a lot of the file size is to trim the front of each clip in each timeline up to the chapter point I originally had. This is extremely an tedious way of trimming a clip. You drag the front of the clip and the back moves in...which would be fine if the audio was synced to the video clip, and if encore didn't hang up for 5 seconds everytime you click to trim. Is there anyway to split a clip at the CTI?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 6, 2006 at 3:54:40 pm

Encore's a DVD authoring tool, not a video editor...best to trim and export your media from Premiere Pro or your NLE of choice, then import the bits into Encore and make them separate timelines.

Return to posts index

R. D. Hamilton
on Jan 6, 2006 at 5:42:36 pm

Unfortunately the video came from a dvd, and premiere doesn't recognize the m2v file. So I can't really edit it there. What kind of software would I get to convert an m2v file into something useful for premiere?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 6, 2006 at 6:58:37 pm

It's unusual the PPro has problems with the file...what kind of problems? I can import m2v files into PPro 1.5 without problems (although they are slow to work with there).

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 8, 2006 at 11:09:12 pm

You might want to try TMPGEnc to edit your mpeg files.

I don't understand your reference to using Encore to trim heads and tails of mpeg files. afaik Encore will only trim the tails.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]