FORUMS: list search recent posts

multipath in Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brown_06
multipath in Encore
on Jan 6, 2006 at 12:17:58 am

Hey all.
I was just wondering if it is possible to do a multipath(just like a choose your own adventure)in Encore?

You would be watching the footage of something and you will have a short time to push either left, right, up or down on your DVD controller and change the outcome of the scene.

Thanks for anyones help.

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: multipath in Encore
on Jan 6, 2006 at 4:07:57 pm

Sure. What you need to do is make the segments where the user has a choice into menus, with the video as a background. Set the end action of the previous video segment to link to the menu. If you don't want the buttons visible, simply edit the menu in Photoshop and turn off the visibility of the layers inside of the button's layer set (as long as they're named correctly, Encore will still treat the layers as a button) and delete any highlight layers for the button. You'll probably also want to set the buttons to auto-activate. Finally, link the buttons to the next segment of footage.

Once caveat to keep in mind: By DVD spec, the amount of data allowed for all menus on a disc is limited to 1 GB. To my knowledge most DVD players don't enforce that, though, and I don't think Encore does either, but it's something to keep in mind.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 6, 2006 at 4:34:28 pm

Hi Tim,

Actually, Encore does enforce the 1 GB limit for motion menus. And although players may not specifically enforce it, disc compatibility rests upon this limitation being enforced by the authoring tool.

Regards,
Joe

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Jan 6, 2006 at 8:06:11 pm

Well, it was 50/50. Either it did support it or it didn't, and I couldn't really remember which. Stupid swiss cheese memory.

There you go, Brown- keep your selection videos short. Might want to keep the bitrate down if you have a lot of them. Remember that you also have to include your navigation menus in that 1 GB.

Return to posts index

brown_06
on Jan 7, 2006 at 1:12:58 am

Thanks for the help.

The reason why i asked the question in the first place is because of the 1980's arcade game Dragons Lair. You can get the game on a DVD and its the same as it was in the 80's. You choose where the game goes by pressing your DVD remote buttons. I dont know if any of you guys have played it but if you dont press the button when you are supposed to it cuts to a scene where you die or whatever. And it way over 1 Gb the whole game. Maybe they used a better Authoring tool, the game was made back in 2002 for the DVD. I will try the tips you have gave me as i dont think mines going to be that big, i just wanted to know how its done for a little video.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Jan 9, 2006 at 6:20:44 pm

Ah, yes, I remember Dragon's Lair quite well. It sat back in an oddly well-lit corner of the arcade, and I dumped many nickels into that old LaserDisc-based machine. Pity that I was never really able to get more than a couple of levels in. My brother had good luck on the Commodore 64 version, though of course the graphics were junk compared to the video in the arcade.

You're on the right track for your own game. If you keep your animated game segments short, and all the animations (success, failure, transition, etc.) as timelines rather than menus, you'll probably be okay.

Return to posts index

brown_06
on Jan 10, 2006 at 2:31:05 am

Thanks for the help.
Ive tryed somethings allready and it just gets confusing keeping track of where everything is going.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]