FORUMS: list search recent posts

Search for Tutorial explaining Chapter Selection

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flumsie
Search for Tutorial explaining Chapter Selection
on Dec 30, 2005 at 1:00:02 pm

Dear all,

I am looking for a tutorial that shows me how to build an attractive chapter selection menu. I have created a nice Photoshop based file, but now would like to fit in looped movie parts of certain chapters. The user might then go over these movies with the remote control to select the chapters. My question is how to make the non-selected movie thumbs partially transparent / shadow, and what the best way is to insert these movie loops.

Thanks, that's it for today. Have a good new year's celebration!

Best, Erik

Return to posts index

Matt Dubber
Re: Search for Tutorial explaining Chapter Selection
on Jan 4, 2006 at 10:46:18 pm

I was just breifly playing around with this and I'm not sure you can do exactly what you want without creating the menus in After Effects if you want the clips to be playing in all the dimmed buttons all the time. Once the user selects a new button, Encore will basically need to access a brand new menu which means all the thumbnails will begin all over again....it might look really annoying. Now if you wanted to have all the buttons be dimmed still frames with only the highlighted button playing the clip....that would work in Encore but may be a little too time consuming to accomplish nicely. I'm going to keep playing around with it. Let me know what you ultimate goal is for the menu and let's see if we can come up with something that works.

-Matt

Return to posts index

Flumsie
on Jan 5, 2006 at 3:11:43 pm

Thanks Matt. I willl keep you updated. The idea what indeed to have all clips playing, but maybe then I should forget about the 'dimming' and just have them play off in normal light. The button itself will then be the differentiator.

Thanks for yr help!

Erik
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Return to posts index

Matt Dubber
on Jan 5, 2006 at 4:25:55 pm

Depending on what kind of background you have on your menu, you might be able to create the illusion of partial transparency for unselected buttons. If the backgraound is a solid color like black, you can make the normal state of the buttons be black (or the background color) at 40%. When a button is selected, the black will turn to 100% transparent so the item comes into full color and brightness. It's the complete opposite of the way most DVD menu selections work, but it can be quite effctive if executed properly. Let me know if you need more details on doing this.

-Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]