Problem: Menu on tv is 'shivering'

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flumsie
Problem: Menu on tv is 'shivering'
on Dec 30, 2005 at 12:55:05 pm

Dear all,

sorry for my lack of english, but would like to ask you following question:

When I exported my project to DVD and then watch on television, it seems that the stills / menus are 'flickering' or 'shivering'. Does this have to do with interlaced, etc.? How can I fix this. I would like the menu to be a sharp, clear and crips picture on TV.

Best, Erik

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Problem: Menu on tv is 'shivering'
on Dec 30, 2005 at 5:41:43 pm

Yes. What you are seeing is due to interlacing. There are several things you can do to help minimize the effect:

* Avoid using fine detail in your image. Thin horizontal lines, such as window blinds, is a common cause. Anything that requires detail smaller than about 2 pixels will definitely cause it.

* Avoid high-contrast images.

* Avoid very bright or very dark colors. RGB values should stay within a range of about 16-235.

* Don't use fonts with fine serifs, such as scripted fonts. Make sure your fonts are big enough so no line is thinner than about 2-3 pixels.

* Use small amounts of blurring or glows to smooth out areas where the detail is fine and causes the problem.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 4, 2006 at 7:42:40 pm

[Timothy Kurkoski] "Use small amounts of blurring"

Right, and if you have access to Directional Blur, use it in the vertical direction.

btw -- does anyone know whether this is a problem with HDTV?

-- BC

Return to posts index

jhbrewer
on Jan 7, 2006 at 3:43:20 pm

I would imagine not so much since there is more resolution. I'm no expert in HDTV, but I'd figure the progressive HDs might have either eliminated that problem or at least diminished it.

You think your computer sucks?

1.1 GHz Intel Celeron
512 MB PC-133 SDRAM (upgraded from 128)
17" Gateway CRT + secondary 15" ZDS (slow as christmas when I use it, though)
2 x 20 GB, 1 x 160 GB HDDs (upgraded from 1 x 20 GB)

Return to posts index

Bryan Carvajal
on Jan 13, 2006 at 2:48:09 am

i agree, use some *slight* blur on your sharp stuff.. I am trying to put my logo stuff on my portfolio dvd at this time and a lot of it is sharp illustrator stuff so I use a bit of a blur to smooth it out or I get that shimmering effect on the crt tv :|

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]