FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Encore DVD pause animated menu to start again when selection is made?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Movie Maker
Can Encore DVD pause animated menu to start again when selection is made?
on Dec 8, 2005 at 7:14:11 am

Hi, I have created a scene in After Effects that I wish to use as a menu. I would like to add 4 selections to the menu that will take the viewer to 4 different short films.

My menu has a fade in from black, and I would like it to play the fade in and then PAUSE. While paused, I would like the selection choices to appear. When the selection is made, I would like the menu to continue to play to view my custom fade out effect. It will then jump to the selected film. I would also like to add background music to the menu, but will it still play while the menu is paused?

I am sure it is possible and maybe very easy but I cant work it out.

Many thanks
Jimmy

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Can Encore DVD pause animated menu to start again when selection is made?
on Dec 8, 2005 at 5:19:26 pm

To make the pause, you'll just have to build that into your background animation in AE. The music will play continuously while the menu plays.

For the fade out part, you need to create the animation in AE, and then use it as a menu transition. That is, set the link for your button to go to this animation (in a timeline), and set the end action of that timeline to go to the actual video you want to play.

Return to posts index

Movie Maker
on Dec 8, 2005 at 6:52:30 pm

Thank you for your reply, the fade out menu transition makes sense (hopefully as a transition, there will not be any flicker between the paused menu and video transition)?

The pause I want to build into the menu will be until the viewer decideds to choose a film selection and not a pre-dertimined length.

This being the case, I could probably use a still image for the frist part to fade in and allow the film selection options to appear. I assume I will have to loop this 'still' for as long as the background music plays. I also assume the music will stop when the video transition is being played.

many thanks
Jimmy

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Dec 8, 2005 at 8:30:01 pm

Right. It sounds like what you want is an animated menu intro, a still menu, then an animated transition out.

The transition we've got down. The intro and menu can be done in two ways:

1) Make the intro a separate timeline, and link it's end action to the menu. Simplest way, but the music can't bridge between the two parts.

2) Make the intro part of the animated background to the menu, and set a loop point for the menu so that only the still part repeats. This way the music can continue through both, but only the part of the music within the loop duration will actually loop, and you'll have to build the still part of the menu into the animated part and just let it sit for a while. (30 sec. or whatever your loop duration is going to be.)

Return to posts index

Movie Maker
on Dec 8, 2005 at 9:17:53 pm

I think thats what I want, if the terminology is right ie animation being video etc.

What I have is a video of a street with a lorry on the right hand side of screen. The menu fades in so the still of the lorry is on the right side of the screen (this is animated intro - right?)the music will start to play and loop back to position where the fade in finishes, this pause & loop will be until a selection is made. (this part is the still - right?)

When selection is made, the lorry will drive across the screen dragging a black matt behind it to create the trasition to black effect. (this is animated out - right?) This trasition will link to selected video clip.

hopefully this is similar to what you had in mind from my previous explaination. I appreciate your help.

many thanks
Jimmy

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Dec 9, 2005 at 4:32:41 pm

Yes, that sounds like what I was assuming. (BTW, my usage of the term "animation" was pretty much based on the fact you said you were doing things in AE. For these purposes, it can really mean whatever video you want to use.)

So your menu would consist of a total of three elements. First, the intro, which would be its own timeline. It's end action would link to the menu, which would be still and have music that loops. Third, the transition, which would be in its own timeline.

Setting up the transition is a little trickier. Each one of your buttons needs to link to the same transition timeline. (Unless you were going to have a different transition for each button.) But since the timeline can only have one end action, each button needs to have the Override value set to that it tells the timeline what it should do when that button is pressed. That is, set the Override to be the actual video or menu you want the user to see when they choose that particular button.

Return to posts index

Movie Maker
on Dec 9, 2005 at 8:45:25 pm

Excellent, this is great, I have managed to get project to 2 parts by fading directly to STILL - creating chapter point where music starts and set 'END' function to link back to chapter point. This cuts out the first flicker between the original first and second part of the project (Fade in INTRO + STILL)

I can do the override for each option so thats ok.

Can I get rid of (or camouflage) the flicker between STILL and ANIMATED TRANSITION which are now on 2 separate timelines?

Thanks once again
Jimmy

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Dec 9, 2005 at 9:34:11 pm

Well, that flicker will vary depending on DVD player you use, so you should test it to see how bad it is. On most DVD players it should hardly be noticeable. But in Encore's preview it's pretty pronounced. You can't truly get rid of it because it's inherent to the DVD format- when it's switching streams from the menu to the timeline, it has to pause a little to load the data.

Return to posts index

Movie Maker
on Dec 10, 2005 at 12:34:04 pm

Many thanks for all of your help, it was very detailed and easy to follow.

much appreciated
Jimmy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]