FORUMS: list search recent posts

skip button on remote leads to random timelines

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joefeng
skip button on remote leads to random timelines
on Dec 1, 2005 at 10:36:13 pm

I have a number of single-chapter clips on a DVD. When hitting the next chapter button on the remote control, it would take me to the start of random clips. Some clips even have the next chapter button automatically disabled. It's very troubling. I've had to manually disable the prev/next chapter function inside Encore to get a somewhat acceptable disc.

Does anyone know what's causing this problem and how to fix it? Thanks...

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: skip button on remote leads to random timelines
on Dec 2, 2005 at 1:16:19 am

You're running into a combination of problems:

1. When you creat timelines in Encore 1.5 they are numbered in the order you create them (in 1.0, they are numbered backwards). The numbering is what the DVD player will use to seek the next chapter, and you can't change the numbering once you've created the timeline.

2. The "next chapter" button is not strictly defined for the DVD spec when there's no chapter points left in the timeline. Most DVD players will simply execute the end action, some will do nothing, some will jump to the next timeline.

The most effective solution people have found is to put an extra chapter point about a second before the end of each timeline. That way when the user presses "next chapter", it will jump to that point and after a short pause the end action will execute.

Otherwise you're stuck recreating all of your project's timelines in the exact order you want.

Oh, also, I've seen a bug where if you have too many timelines in a project that are all linked from the same end action or override (for example, you have a transition from the menu that leads to all of them), Encore screws up the navigation. I think the limit is something like 42.

Return to posts index

joefeng
on Dec 2, 2005 at 2:47:18 pm

Thanks very much!
this info helps.
Hopefully a new version will resolve the timeline numbering issue.
Any clue when 2.0 might be out?

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Dec 2, 2005 at 4:52:56 pm

There's an old adage about trying to predict software releases (among other things):

Those who know don't talk.
Those who talk don't know.

Return to posts index

joefeng
on Dec 13, 2005 at 8:58:12 pm

I'm about to start a company dvd demo project in Encore. It will feature a few dozen video clips, linked from several menues. Knowing the timeline numbering issue, is my only option adding a second chapter mark at the end? Any other ways around?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]