FORUMS: list search recent posts

What DVD creator do the pros use? i.e. Star Wars type menus?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris
What DVD creator do the pros use? i.e. Star Wars type menus?
on Nov 9, 2005 at 10:55:51 pm

What DVD creator do the pros use? Adobe Encore just seems so difficult, so how do the pros do it? Are they using something way easier or am I just kinda crappy with this program?

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: What DVD creator do the pros use? i.e. Star Wars type menus?
on Nov 10, 2005 at 5:19:21 pm

Scenarist. Neither cheap nor easy to use.

Many on the Mac may be using Apple's DVD Studio Pro. From what I've seen, it's not much different from Encore in terms of interface, but I haven't used it extensively.

What types of problems are you having, Chris? Encore is really a pretty straightforward program. Part of the problem with DVD authoring as a whole is that the DVD specifications are pretty idiosyncratic. Check out the FAQ at DVDDeymstified.com for a quick overview of some of the quirks of the format.

For using Encore specifically, it helps to know Photoshop fairly well, since it builds menus from the PSD file format.

Return to posts index

Tony Neal
on Nov 10, 2005 at 10:39:41 pm

The problem with Encore is that it does not have a workflow - you just have to blat your way through the counter-intuitive menu structure until you get what you want - the learning curve is steep. Compare this to say, Ulead DVD Workshop that has a workflow sequence of four screens: Capture, Edit, Menu and Build.

You can bring an MPEG into Workshop and be burning a simple test DVD with chapter points and buttons in a couple of minutes. Encore will do the clever stuff but its clunky, slow to refresh and still feels like a Version 1 product.

Tony

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Nov 11, 2005 at 1:00:08 am

Well, it is only version 1.5.

Quite honestly, you can't always rely on the application to make the workflow for you. Most advanced applications are toolsets with which you have to devise your own workflow. Not everybody likes to do things the same way.

But for those people that prefer to be handheld through the process, there are applications like Ulead and others.

If you give it some time, Tony, I'm sure you'll come to appreciate the power of Encore. Maybe go buy a book, those usually teach you a workflow that you can use.

My own personal workflow is to start by sketching my ideas and layout on paper, then build my assets (ie, edit video with Premiere Pro), import the assets and set up the timelines, then create the menus, set the links, and burn. It's not elegant, and I may not follow the workflow exactly every time, but it works for me.

Return to posts index

joeythedog
on Nov 12, 2005 at 12:17:22 am

I just started using Encore and it was hard but it sure can do the job. Try going to VTC.com for a good tutorial on encore or go to Ebay to find a $10 instructional CD.
Encore does have some horsepower, but an upgrade wpould be nice.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Nov 15, 2005 at 11:43:25 pm

The workflow with Encore is whatever you are comfortable with.

I generally do all my editing in Premiere Pro - export m2v and wav - import those into Encore, make chapters. Then make the menus.

Or if I am doing another issue in the same series, I first import all the menus from an earlier project, make my changes in Photoshop, make sure all the buttons and navigation and remote control buttons are to my liking, then import and link up the video.

Lots of testing, which despite a few bugs, is pretty easy.

Can't complain really.

List your complaints, chances are the others on this board will come up with a solution for you.

Star Wars type DVDs with random menus and hidden easter eggs use something more advanced than most of us need.

Good Luck

Mike

Return to posts index

Jim_Gunn
on Nov 19, 2005 at 7:03:52 pm

I am an experienced Premiere Pro user, but Encore was difficult for me to learn at first and I even had help from a friend to who is a Photoshop wiz. The main thing you have to understand is that most of the work of professional and sophisticated looking DVD creation must be thought through in advance and actually done outside of Encore- specifically in Premiere Pro or other video editor for the video stuff and in Photoshop for the menu design and other elements. The authoring aspect in Encore is mostly compositing those elements and dealing with the idiosyncracies of the DVD spec. Once we got through the learning curve and got a handle on Encore's awkward interface and capabilities we were able to make a great looking DVD for commercial release that I got a lot of positive comments on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]