FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD-ROM features for computer use of DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ekborg
DVD-ROM features for computer use of DVD
on Nov 9, 2005 at 6:17:38 pm

vs. Set-Top Player use.

I have created a Flash Projector for DVD-ROM content on the DVD for use when used on a computer vs. using a DVD player for television.

Q. How do you get that DVD-ROM content (.exe file) to be seen with an AUTO RUN or something and how can that interface have a button to play dvd-menu vs. using the DVD-ROM content.

Because, right now, when the DVD is placed into a DVD drive, it plays the DVD Video menu as default and you have to close that out and righ-click to Open the DVD icon and then click on the .EXE or Flash Projector file.

Making it too complicated for average consumer users.

Thanks in advance for any help

--
Greg Ekborg
Creative Director/Lead Editor
netXstudios
w. http://www.netxstudios.com
e. greg.ekborg@netxstudios.com

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: DVD-ROM features for computer use of DVD
on Nov 9, 2005 at 6:34:31 pm

I don't know if there is a good answer for this, Greg. It's up to the computer being used to determine what to do with the disc when it's inserted. Most computers are going to see a DVD-Video disc and say "Aha! I need to open a DVD player!"

There may be a way to trick the computer, but it's beyond my knowledge. Have you posted in the DVD Authoring forum on the Cow?
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_view_posts.cgi?forumid=55

Return to posts index

Greg Ekborg
on Nov 9, 2005 at 6:39:24 pm

Not yet, I will try there as well. thanks.

I have seen it done from a Professional Hollywood style DVD inserted into my computer. The DVD-ROM content pops up vs. the DVD video player. Games and tons of web interaction is available and two, you can choose to play DVD Video from that DVD-ROM content.

Wish I knew...thanks again.

--
Greg Ekborg
Creative Director/Lead Editor
netXstudios
w. http://www.netxstudios.com
e. greg.ekborg@netxstudios.com

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Nov 9, 2005 at 9:06:52 pm

It's possible that those DVD's used the InterActual player, or some equivalent. It has special capabilities, and probably looks for specific data on the disc to pick up.

You can get a license to distribute InterActual with the Sonic eDVD application, which is well worth checking out if you want to include DVD-ROM content on the disc.

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
on Nov 22, 2005 at 7:06:58 pm

Such DVDs you describe can be made in Macromedia Director (coincidentally I'm a forum host in the Director forum @ the Cow). It will indee create the .exe-file, and combine most types of files you can think of; including DVD-type movie-files (only available from Director MX2004). Many instructional DVDs intended for computer playback, with live linking to websites etc., are made with Director.

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Dec 7, 2005 at 12:44:24 am

Just out of curiosity, can a regular video DVD be set up to have a hyperlink to a web site from one of the menu buttons? To my knowledge, this isn't possible, but I thought I might ask the question in case someone knows differently. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]