FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD authoring for Replication -- specsifications

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joeythedog
DVD authoring for Replication -- specsifications
on Oct 30, 2005 at 10:37:30 pm

I am currently working on my first authored DVD. Using encore.

Could someone please give me some guidelines as to issues as maximum bit rate acceptable for a commercial home use DVD and any other important constraints to keep in mind. The DVD quality settings can be high because the finished piece is only 27 minutes. I just don't want them to exceed replication or home use parameters.

This DVD will be a master for replication. And the replication copies sold in stores. I will probably use disk makers.

Thanks very much for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: DVD authoring for Replication -- specsifications
on Oct 31, 2005 at 3:54:57 pm

dog,

Because you use the word replication I assume you will be sending Disc Makers a DLT and they will be creating a stamping master. True? If so, then you can be reasonably assured that the disc will play on the widest possible array of machines. This assumes your disc is within the DVD spec's max bitrate. Encore won't let you make a disc that exceeds the spec bitrate so no worries.

If you are going to be sending a "master" disc that will be copied by duplication (which implies discs created by recording not by stamping) then you should probably keep the max video rate under 7Mb/s and be sure to use Dolby (ac3) and not PCM audio. Record this master on the best quality disc (DVD-R or DVD+R only) you can find and burn it at 1x.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Return to posts index

joeythedog
on Oct 31, 2005 at 6:13:04 pm

Disk makers will be using a glass master for pressing the DVD's. They do not need a DLT to do this. I will burn a DVD for them as a master. Does this make a difference to your answer?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Oct 31, 2005 at 9:16:57 pm

Hard for me to answer as I do not know what their work flow is and I do not have first hand experience with that approach. I suspect that you could expect results to be the same as giving them a DLT.

Dave

Return to posts index

D.Fokker
on Nov 4, 2005 at 9:12:36 am

Why should I use dolby instead of PCM audio when using a dvd-R master disc in a dvd multicopy bank?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]