FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intro before the menu starts

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Sharon
Intro before the menu starts
on Oct 20, 2005 at 9:49:26 am

Can anyone tell me how to make a dvd, so the intro sequence will play before menu starts?
Thanks in advance.
Eric

Return to posts index

David Garrett
Re: Intro before the menu starts
on Oct 20, 2005 at 11:10:17 am

import the file u wish to use as a "first play" and give it it's own timeline, now right click on its timeline within the project window of Encore and then select "set as first play" now set its end action to go wherever you choose.

Return to posts index

Eric Sharon
Thank you very much
on Oct 20, 2005 at 11:27:19 am

David,
Thank you very much.
Eric.

Return to posts index

keither5280
Re: Thank you very much
on Oct 20, 2005 at 4:39:43 pm

Eric,

Another thing you might consider thinking about is the sequence itself which builds the menu. Unless the intro sequence contains a fade to black (from one or more pieces like trailers/teasers, logo animations, etc.), and the menu itself includes a fade up from black, there might be some undesirable delay in the menu, like there can be in many other areas in the DVD flow.

One thing I do now, after several starts at creating smooth transitions, is to create a Photoshop comp of the static menu design, animate the entire introduction/main menu build sequence, if there is one, (no active menu states displayed) in After Effects, including the entire motion menu sequence to its end as one mpeg-2 file. (Incidentally, this is also the most smooth approach to moving from one chapter to another, but it has to make sense to create one timeline and multiple chapter points, rather than multiple chapters, depends on content whether you need seemless transitions, or can wait between individual chapters. This takes a lot of patience for conversions to mpeg-2 files, what else is new? I did this at the end of a large wedding project, and fortunately in Premiere Pro, you can use nested timelines. I had already rendered all my timelines, so it made sense just to copy/paste from the clipboard into one master sequence, and as long as the tracks are in the same order and set correctly - i.e. visibility of tracks set the same, all rendered sections come across correctly).

Then I create the menu with buttons only in Photoshop [it's easy to export one frame from the sequence to a .psd to determine position of the active/selected buttons, not the pixel data (chapter title, graphic or otherwise), or work the other way, from a Photoshop file to AE, and then remove everything but the buttons themselves, with the correct layer settings for Encore, or you could simply turn those layers' visibility in Encore itself]. Then I use the static .psd for the menu, use the mpeg-2 as the video/audio for the menu, and set the loop point for the point I wish the buttons to become active. Before the loop point, you won't see any buttons active. This way there's no delay in the motion, and the buttons become active only when you want them to, say, after the text animates on-sceen. May take more time to set up initially, but it's a smoother DVD experience. Also, you may wish to use separate audio track for the initial menu build and another for use from the loop point on. That way if the menu loops for any number of times, you can come back to a place where the menu looped from, and bring in the audio from that point on.

Another thing to note is that when you come back to the menu, at least in version 1.0.1, there's no way to target the loop point, so I always build out another menu from where the menu loop point was in the first menu, and use that as the background for the other menu. Alternately, you could build the menu completely different when you're coming out of a "play all/playlist," an individual chapter, or the menu remote link (of course, you need to remember to set this for timelines and menus). It all depends on the menu metaphor you're using, whether you want the opening sequence to display or not when you come back to the menu.

Hope this is helpful.

Return to posts index

Eric Sharon
Re: Thank you very much
on Oct 20, 2005 at 10:30:41 pm

Thanks, that was very helpful.
Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]