FORUMS: list search recent posts

Double encoding...

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hector
Double encoding...
on Oct 19, 2005 at 1:51:01 pm

Yesterday I was burning a DVD and realize that I forgot to set "first play" (Encore) I went to Encore, fixed the problem & burned again a 128min DVD in 10min. That is fast! but this is because it was already encoded before in Encore..
Then, my question is, if I first made an encoding in Premiere..(took 3 and a half hrs to do)(High qual. 7mb) why do I have to encode again in Encore (another 3 hrs) Why not to encode only one time out of Premiere and only add menus etc, in Encore and burn-in a disc in a fraction of that time??
Or I'm missing something???

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Double encoding...
on Oct 19, 2005 at 4:48:49 pm

Encore shouldn't be spending much time encoding as long as you haven't set it to re-encode the MPEG file (which is possible, check the transcode settings column in the Project window). But if you're using motion menus, or are doing anything else significant, there will be some rendering involved. Wether or not it should take 3 hours I can't tell without a better description of the whole project and your computer specs.

Return to posts index

Hector
on Oct 19, 2005 at 5:35:24 pm

This means I should take care how I encode within Premiere so when in Encore the footage don't take so much disc space and fit in it??
Its a long question but there is not a guide with respect the encoding process... or "how to" step by step... more over it's a try an error.
What should be the right steps?? The authorizing process is killing me. Too much time consuming.

I have watched some tutorials but they are more confusing than explanatory.

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Oct 19, 2005 at 5:49:14 pm

how i do it is to export from Premiere as .AVI and then allow Encore to encode all the files, it is faster and Encore does a better job of it (or at least i think it does)

Return to posts index

Hector
on Oct 19, 2005 at 5:58:35 pm

I have done both ways and didn't see any big diference in process time.
Some people advise me not to export as avi...don't know why.
Who better than the Adobe PP/Encore developments guys to advise and sugest the correct steps!

Return to posts index

movado242
on Oct 19, 2005 at 6:17:14 pm

I have to agree with David. I always export to .avi and let Encore handle the encoding. The other day I decided to let Premiere encode to mpeg. It was 9 hours at 4 to 6mb variable rate for 1h51m project. This is on a dual xeon 2.8g with 2 gig of Ram. I killed it the next morning when it was still running. Same project this time exported to avi in less than an hour. Encore had my dvd completed and playing in just over an hour

Return to posts index

Hector
on Oct 19, 2005 at 6:22:09 pm

Thanks all for share your ideas. Will do this way from now on.
Hector

Return to posts index

Matthew Press
on Oct 19, 2005 at 8:59:29 pm

Guys I have had the opposit results. Both mpegs and AVIs export at the same quick rate out of Premier with the Mpegs allowing me to finish my DVD in encore in record time. Whenever I let encore transcode the AVIs it took a long time. I do think the AVI trancode in encore does keep the Video Quality up over the Mpegs.

Return to posts index

Don Huckleberry
on Oct 25, 2005 at 7:22:53 am

The long render times out of PPro do not sound right to me, I belive that the encoder is exactly the same for PPro and Encore therefore, it should be close.

If you have a lot of effects and layers etc, and render to a DV avi, it may just take the rendered temp files and just assemble them and output them, this would be very fast if recompress is not checked, also if are long parts w/o effects or transitions so it is just taking the original file, rendering what is needed for trans/effects/layer and spitting it out to the new .avi. If making an MPEG, it has to (re)render each frame...just a thought.

The issue to me is two fold, first rendering out an .avi (at anywhere from DV res to uncompressed) creates a large intermediate file, your final output will be MPEG 2, so why not render the smaller file out of the editor and not have to deal with the extra file.

Second, if you compress it to an .avi (with DV compression) - then to MPEG 2, you are double compressing and this can cause artifacts. For many, the artifacts are not an issue, but computer graphics break up more than video. I you lay graphics over video in PPro or mix other media like uncompressed video or 2:1 MJPEG, when you render the MPEG from the Adobe Encoder, it only compresses the uncompressed stuff one time, not DV then MPEG 2.

my two cents

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]