FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stop Button does not go back to menu

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ABooth
Stop Button does not go back to menu
on Oct 13, 2005 at 8:41:26 pm

Help before I do damage to things that I need to make a living.

Encore 1.5
1 Menu, one button on the menu, one timeline.
There are two chapter points in the timeline, one at the beginning (Chapter 1) and one about 10 seconds in (Chapter 2)
(The first 10 seconds are black and who wants to watch black.)
Menu button is set to Chapter two.
Disc first play is set to menu:default, disc override also set to menu:default
Menu end action set to Stop (Have tried Link back to here, and menu:default)
Menu default button =1
Timeline end action = Stop (Have tried Return to Last menu, Link back to Here, and menu:default)
Timeline menu remote set to Return to Last Menu

DVD records ok, plays back ok.
My problems are many, but my current problem with encore is

- insert the disk, menu is displayed and button can be pressed.
- press STOP on remote twice and then play, the beginning of the timeline will start to play and I do not return to the menu.

What I want is that when you press STOP twice it will always go back to the menu.
I do not want the user to be able to bypass the menu and play the timeline directly

Suggestions?

Oh yes, I am a novice at Encore, but rapidly gaining experience on how to do things wrong.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Stop Button does not go back to menu
on Oct 13, 2005 at 10:35:44 pm

Believe it or not, stop really does mean stop.

It's certainly not possible to map the Stop button to anything else with Encore DVD, and I don't believe this is even possible to do in the DVD-Video format, with any DVD authoring tool.

If users are DVD-savvy, they'll be able to bypass any menu requirement you may want in your DVD by using a title search to navigate timelines. However, for the non-savvy, you could create an timeline first in your project (Encore writes timelines in the order of their creation as titles on the DVD), and set its end action to your menu. That way, when a user stops the DVD, then hits play again, the timeline will play for a split second, then go to the menu.

Hope this is helpful,
Joe

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Oct 13, 2005 at 11:08:20 pm

EMPTY timeline, if the above was unclear...sorry 'bout the omission.

Return to posts index

ABooth
on Oct 13, 2005 at 11:32:34 pm

This does help, it may give me a way out of my problem.

If I follow, stop halts execution of whatever is currently playing.
A second stop seems to reset you to the beginning of the timeline.
If two stops are followed by a play, can I make the play count as a First Play?
It is actually when they press play that I would like to have the user sent back to the menu. Currently a Play sends the user back to the beginning of the timeline.

My memory is definitely on the blink, I just had my kids try the two stops and a play on a commercial movie DVD and sure enough, it starts playing at the beginning of the timeline, not the menu. This just proves that I should never make bet money on my memory!

Thanks so much for the prompt help

Andy

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Oct 14, 2005 at 1:04:33 am

Pressing Stop once will leave the player in resume mode on many DVD players (this is usually referred to as a "soft stop"); pressing Play again on such a player will resume where playback left off. Pressing Stop twice on such a player truly stops it, and then pressing Play again begins playback from the first title on the disc (in Encore, this equals the first timeline created).

So in your project, the first timeline created should be an empty timeline with an end action set to your menu, then create whatever other timelines you want to play in sequence when a user gets in this type of playback mode. When the first title is an empty timeline whose end action is a menu, then stopping the player, then pressing play will play a black timeline for a second or so, then jump to the menu.

Note that some players will actually stop the first time you press Stop (they have no "soft" stop as described above). In this case, pressing play again displays the same behavior as described above.

Return to posts index

ABooth
on Oct 18, 2005 at 1:07:24 am

The blank timeline with end action pointing to my primary menu works like a charm.
I did have to make sure I created the blank time line first so it would always be the first to play.
Customer got what he wanted and is happy.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]