FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preview is good quality, when burnt to disc, quality is TERRIBLE! (not transcoding problem)

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
theboykidney
Preview is good quality, when burnt to disc, quality is TERRIBLE! (not transcoding problem)
on Oct 10, 2005 at 1:24:12 pm

Well, my subject says it all - when I preview the disc in Encore, everything is fine and normal. When the project is burnt to disc, the quality is absolutely terrible.

The problem is not transcoding - the trouble lies in the fact that the image is heavily aliased. particularly noticable on menus where theres text.

Im hoping someone can please shed some light on this!

Here's what I got:

Encore 1.5
Video is progressive scan, uncompressed AVI - so when its viewed in media player, everything is 100% crisp- so defo not the source footage!

Cheers in advance!

TBK

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Preview is good quality, when burnt to disc, quality is TERRIBLE! (not transcoding problem)
on Oct 10, 2005 at 4:41:58 pm

Several things need to be examined here...

- When you view the DVD, are you playing it on the computer or a set-top player? If on the computer, are you maximizing the window (bad) or viewing at the native resolution (good)?

- You said "the image is heavily aliased. particularly noticable on menus where theres text." Are you referring to the text highlights? That's typical for DVD, the highlights can't be anti-aliased. Please clarify what exactly is the problem.

- Regarding whether or not transcoding is the issue, after you transcode the video, go into the project folder and find the transcoded m2v files, and try playing those in Windows Media Player. If it is truly not a transcoding issue, then those should look okay.

Return to posts index

theboykidney
Re: Preview is good quality, when burnt to disc, quality is TERRIBLE! (not transcoding problem)
on Oct 11, 2005 at 2:58:44 pm

- When you view the DVD, are you playing it on the computer or a set-top player? If on the computer, are you maximizing the window (bad) or viewing at the native resolution (good)?

Computer - and leaving the window un-scaled

- You said "the image is heavily aliased. particularly noticable on menus where theres text." Are you referring to the text highlights? That's typical for DVD, the highlights can't be anti-aliased. Please clarify what exactly is the problem.

No, theres no text highlights. The reason its noticable on text is because theres more squigley detail in the text to make the aliasing more prominent - the test is quite chunky.

The transcodes look perfect...

After a bit of hunting around, it looks like it may have something to do with interlacing, but the transcodes are not interlaced. having said that, should they be? if so, which field should come first for PAL? wouldn't this look terrible on a computer?!

Cheers, TBK

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Oct 11, 2005 at 4:50:16 pm

So how does the disc look if you play it on a computer?

If the transcodes look fine, then it's definitely something in how the player application is handling it. You might want to try a different app.

As far as fields go, the MPEG files are definitely field separated, and there's no way to avoid that. See:
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4

That doesn't mean your source content can't be progressive, and the player (set top or software) should still play it correctly. Howevewr, if your player app is doing something funny with the fields, like only displaying one set at a time, that could be the problem.

Basically, I think what it's coming down to is that you need to test your disk in a variety of players.

Return to posts index

theboykidney
on Oct 12, 2005 at 12:31:49 pm

OK, so I burnt off a disc, and again i got the aliasing problem, but brought it to other machines and it worked fine - in terms of the aliasing problem, so I guess theres something quirky going on with my media player. Incidentally, PowerDVD couldnt play it due to insuffient decoders... but it did play fine on a DVD player/TV combo...

The other news is that the menu is slightly blurred when playing it on a computer, even when its at 1:1 res - though crsip in the preview. If anyone knows what that is, hit me up!

But mainly Im happy that the aliasing thing has been resolved, I can live with the blur - just about..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]