FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD quality-TV vs. Computer screen

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mindy Hilt
DVD quality-TV vs. Computer screen
on Aug 31, 2005 at 9:51:45 pm

Hi all,
Help me understand. When I make DVD's with Encore, they look great on my TV, but when we play them on a computer, the resolution looks bad. The menu titles look blocky and the video looks a bit blurry. Is there a way to make a DVD that looks good on both kinds of screens? Will another product do this?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Hector
Re: DVD quality-TV vs. Computer screen
on Sep 1, 2005 at 4:15:37 am

I haven't had too much experience with Encore but I think changing to "Automatic" encoding in the >project tap>transcoding setting>automatic. This will burn the DVD up to best quality settings....
If I'm wrong please correct me

Return to posts index

Mindy Hilt
on Sep 1, 2005 at 12:49:37 pm

Thanks, I'll do that. Also, (I'm dumb) I just figured out that obviously a DVD is 720x480 at 72dpi and that's going to look low res on a computer screen no matter what I do. It looks O.K. in a window, but when you view full screen, it looks pretty bad. I can't believe how long it took me to figure this out.

Return to posts index

drumrob
on Sep 1, 2005 at 5:39:36 pm

The main problem with how it looks on a computer screen is probably that your footage is interlaced rather than progressive scan. What that means is that video has two fields of information for every frame. The fields are displayed roughly every 60th of a second. The first field has half the lines of resolution, showing every other line of the picture, then the second field displays, showing the other half the resolution. These two fields are "Interlaced" to make one complete frame. TVs are designed to show video this way. Computer screens use Progressive Scan. That is, they display all the lines of a frame in order - no interlacing, no every other line field issue. But when you try to play interlaced video on a computer monitor, it results in that flicker and loss of resolution you are seeing. So to make things look better on a computer screen, you would want to encode your video as progressive, or use a "de-interlace" function. Unfortunately that sometimes results in a jerky look to the video when played on TV sets (unless they are a progressive scan display). Ain't DVD fun?

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]