FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with resolution when playing in Windows Media Player?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DanielHaskett
Problem with resolution when playing in Windows Media Player?
on Aug 31, 2005 at 12:02:27 am

Hi there

When I try and play a encore dvd in WMP it came up with an error message, Ive now worked out it is something to do with the resolution of my monitor. At the moment it is set to 1280x1024 at 32bit, however when I set it down to 1024x768 at 16bit it plays fine. This is ok, however I was wondering if there is a way of getting around this, when burning in encore? Only if other people play the dvd and have the same problem, they may not know to solve it....

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Problem with resolution when playing in Windows Media Player?
on Sep 1, 2005 at 3:27:16 pm

What was the error message?

Return to posts index

David Owen
on Sep 2, 2005 at 10:37:58 pm

Daniel,

I believe this relates to the bitrate of your encoding and the horsepower of the computer you're playing it on. As default, Encore is set to automatic transcoding. Apparently, this strives to achieve the highest bitrate possible based on the length of the video to be transcoded.

The bitrate needed relates directly to the amount of detail and motion in the video... If you've got footage of two guys on horses chasing a bankrobber on horseback with trees in the background, you'll likely need a higher bitrate. If you've got someone standing at a podium reading the minutes of the last meeting, you could probably drop that rate through the floor.

I suggest finding the most challenging part of your video, narrow it's in and out points to just that portion, then try some lower bitrates... perhaps starting as low as 2500. If that looks like crap, bump it up 1000 and try it again. Still looks bad? Bump it up again. After a while, you'll be able to "eyeball" your content and give yourself a pretty good guesstimate of what your bitrate will be.

I hope you find this helpful.

Return to posts index

graham quince
on Sep 8, 2005 at 3:20:21 pm

I've yet to play a DVD successfully in Windows Media Player. You need additional stuff from Microsoft (i think it's all part of the anti-trust thing that means they aren't included).

Players like PowerDVD or WinDVD have free options. Some commercial DVDs even come with software to install on them, Spiderman for instance.

Graham

http://www.qcit.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]