FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extract a Authored DVD into a video file

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Baker
Extract a Authored DVD into a video file
on Aug 12, 2005 at 4:19:05 pm

Hello,

I have been given an edit of a music video we colour graded on DVD. It's already been authored. I would like to re-use the edit I was given on authored DVD. I would have to hookup a dvd player and record in analogue.

Is there anyway I can extract the data straight from the DVD and turn into a video clip such as a Microsoft DV AVI for use in Adobe Premiere Pro? As much easier then hooking up a dvd player into a analogue port.

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

drumrob
Re: Extract a Authored DVD into a video file
on Aug 12, 2005 at 5:01:12 pm

You could use a program like DVD Decrypter or SmartRipper to extract the files from the DVD. (Make sure you have the right to do this and are not using copyrighted material!!) However, they are already encoded as MPEG-2 files, so you do not want to bring them into Premiere and try to re-edit them - then re-compress them. That won't look very good. Of course capturing via analogue and editing - then re-compressing also results in a twice-compressed file, so I guess it's up to you to decide how bad it looks.

Have fun!

Rob

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
Re: Extract a Authored DVD into a video file
on Aug 12, 2005 at 10:49:22 pm

Hello Rob,

Yes of course it's not other peoples copyrighted material we are using. We colour graded a music video for trinity media then delivered it to them on tape.

However they did a few re-edits and cutdowns for when it actually went out on SKY tv. So the copy we had is outdated. I requested a Tape copy but they could only give me a DVD so the quality is going to not look very good.

However I would like to re-edit this in Adobe Premiere Pro as part of our reel. I might have to request a tape copy as I can see to many generation dedgradation from the MPEG2 files from the dvd.

I will look into the two software applications you mentioned.

Many Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]