FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd length

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff katerberg
dvd length
on Jul 29, 2005 at 7:24:20 pm

Hey y'all

just wondering - i have a 1.5 hour wedding clip that i am using encore to create my dvd with. when i make two timelines - one with chapters and one without i immediately can't fit it onto the disc - even though it is dual layered. am i doing something wrong? (it's only 3 hours of footage then - and it is mpeg 2 - created in premiere.

thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

David Garrett
Re: dvd length
on Jul 30, 2005 at 12:40:53 am

have you downloaded and installed the Encore 1.5.1 update that adds DL support??

Return to posts index

IMG-INTERACTIVEMEDIAGURUS
Re: dvd length
on Jul 30, 2005 at 9:49:09 am

Hi Jeff,

First of all, which version of Encore are you using? 1.0 or 1.5? That does make a difference, as 1.5 is the only version currently out that supports dual-layer DVD+R9's, although I have a neat trick / work around tip for you on that subject. (See bottom of page for details on that subject).

Second, what settings are you using for your Encore Project tab for the project size? You do need to change that to reflect the larger media size before you create a disk. Obviously you will need the DVD-9 setting if you are using version 1.5, but use DVD-5 for version 1.0 and re-encode in Premiere to squeeze more data on the disc. Of course, the trade-off is always quality.

Third, what settings are you using in Premiere / MainConcept encoder? I suggest the following settings (see link for details):
http://www.interactivemediagurus.com/weva/ENCODER_SETTINGS.gif

Try not going over 5 or 6 MBPS on the two timelines; possibly even a setting of 4 MBPS to get everything on a single disc, if that is your goal. Also, what are your audio settings looking like? Did you use straight PCM, Dolby or what? You can lower the bitrate there to save some disc space.

Finally, look at your menu assets. Did you create them in Photoshop? If not, why not? Are you using motion menus and / or backgrounds? Those eat up valuable disc real estate. Your menu sizes should either be 720x480 or 720x486, not any larger. If they are bigger than that, or carry a file size weight over 5-10 MB, you need to consider optimizing them to reduce the overall file size a bit. Everything adds up in the long run.

What does the overall disc size display as on the DISC tab in Encore? How much free space (if any) is remaining?

Last of all, as promised, here is my Encore DVD+R9 burning trick, if you only have version 1.0 (or the upgrade 1.01, which you should have if you have the 1.0 version. The patch is a free download from Adobe).

Simply create a disc image to a folder on your desktop, then rename that image to the .nrg file extension. Open that up with Nero (if you don't have it, you can download a working free trial version from ahead.de), and select "burn DVD from image" and make sure the image type at the bottom is listed as *.nrg for the allowed source file types. As long as your burner is in fact a dual-layer DVD+R9 capable drive, and you are using the correct media type, you will definitely be able to burn from there.

This last tip will also solve other potential issues you may be having with either Encore or your DVD burner, so it is definitely worth a try.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any further questions, I'll be glad to help.

Scot Sheely
IMG - Interactive Media Gurus
http://imgvideos.com
scot@interactivemediagurus.com

It's always harder to do the right thing, but you'll always be glad you did in the end.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]