FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maximun DVD length

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hector
Maximun DVD length
on Jul 28, 2005 at 2:17:15 am

Can I encode 2 and a half hrs into one DVD. Doing this affects the quality? so much?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

JoeyTheDog
Re: Maximun DVD length
on Jul 28, 2005 at 7:47:01 am

You may be happy to know that there is not only DVD 5 but DVD 9 that holds ,I think, 8 gigs of info, don't quote me here but DVD 9 may be the answer you are looking for.

Return to posts index

IMG-INTERACTIVEMEDIAGURUS
Re: Maximun DVD length
on Aug 1, 2005 at 3:23:36 am

8.36 to 8.48 GB is the max file size for a DVD+R9 media, 4.38 to 4.44 for the DVD-R/+R5. This is depending on how your devices report your media's free space.

To answer your question, yes, you can compress the living snot out of footage and squeeze a longer duration on to a DVD+/-R media. Quality and beauty are both in the eyes of the beholder, and as far as DVD's are concerning, in the ears as well. Don't forget about your audio. Depending on the bitrate, duration and your aural perception of your audio, the sound will be either terrible or reasonably good.

I like no less than 192 KBPS and encode in either in straight PCM or the MainConcept MPEG-1 audio, with occaisional jaunts into Dolby encoding. The higher the bitrate you go, the more space it will take up on your DVD. It is best to not cheat too much on the audio, it is just as apparent as horrible video quality, even for a novice consumer listener.

I hope that helps you out a bit!

Scot Sheely
Owner / Producer
IMG - Interactive Media Gurus
http://www.interactivemediagurus.com

It's always harder to do the right thing, but you'll always be glad you did in the end.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]