FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unsupported files

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Hall
Unsupported files
on Jul 18, 2005 at 4:02:11 pm

A few weeks back I had posted a question about how to add audio to a DVD while the menu was being displayed. The advice worked perfectly. I successfully authored 7 or 8 DVD's with audio playing while the menu was displayed - until this past weekend.

Encore suddenly began giving me an error message about an unsupported file type whenever I would drag a music file on to the menu. I had been using mp3's, which used to work perfectly, but switching to wav's didn't help. I continue to get the exact same error message. Curiously, Encore will not allow me to delete the music file like other assets. It tells me it is in use by the current project.

My menu properties show everything is "connected" properly. The audio is set to loop forever. When I preview the project, a counter on the lower part of the preview screen starts counting before I make any selections, as if the audio file is playing - except that it isn't. Everything on the DVD works, but the audio file doesn't play.

On the off-hand chance that the problem was my sound card (even though the movie played perfectly), I went ahead and burned the DVD. No music while the menu is being displayed. I checked the audio file; no problem there. I re-authored the DVD from scratch 4 times, using different menus each time, with no luck. I authored a completely different DVD using a different audio file; same results. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Encore on the extreme off-hand chance that I had inadvertantly changed some minor setting in Encore. No matter what I do, Encore refuses to play the audio file.

What are the possible reasons for the error message and Encore's refusal to play audio files while the menu is being displayed.

Phil H.

Return to posts index

Nate
Re: Unsupported files
by
on Jul 18, 2005 at 6:15:07 pm

Hey Phil,

Is this a new MP3 you're using (different from the other 7 or 8 DVDs you burned)? If so, perhaps there is something about it Encore doesn't like. Try using a different MP3 file for the menus you're having trouble with and see if it works. As for why Encore would reject the file, I have no clue (especially since converting to WAV doesn't work either). Just a shot in the dark, but does Encore have a limit for how long a menu's audio file can be? I've always used audio files right around a minute long for my menus, so I don't know.

Anyway, if that's not it, I don't know what to tell you.

Nate

Return to posts index

Philip Hall
on Jul 19, 2005 at 1:47:21 pm

Nate,

Thanks for your response. The first mp3 I used WAS a pretty large file; over 5 MB, but I certainly had a lot more than 5 MB left on the DVD, so I don't know why that should make a difference. The 2nd mp3 I used was much smaller; a little over 2 MB. I believe it's the shortest/smallest audio file I've ever used on a DVD menu, so I tend to think size isn't the real issue here. All the files I've used have been new mp3's. Generally, when I get ready to author a DVD, I send an e-mail to a friend who has over 50,000 songs in mp3 format. He can almost always send me what I'm looking for.

I was hoping that someone may have seen this error message previously and know why Encore suddenly (and for no apparent reason) decided that these are unsupported files. They were supported last week. Just for chuckles I threw together a bogus project last night and used an audio file I had previously used in a project menu. It too is now unsupported.

Actually, Encore seems to fight the user tooth-and-nail every step of the way. Even when you think you've got it figured out (to a degree), it still throws curves at you from time to time.

Phil H.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 19, 2005 at 2:29:10 pm

Try converting the MP3 to 16 bit 48 kHz uncompressed WAV. Does that work for you?

Also, if you have details about the MP3 file, such as bit/sample rate, encoded bit rate, CBR or VBR, encoder used, etc.- that could be helpful.

Return to posts index

Philip Hall
on Jul 20, 2005 at 1:18:41 pm

Thanks, Joe. I don't know how to change the properties of the mp3, other than to convert it to a wav. The mp3 is a 128 kbps 44 khz file, the exact same as all the others I used. Converting them to wav files makes no difference. Encore will not even accept the same mp3's it accepted last week. The exact error message is: "The file(s) are unsupported and could not be placed." I tried researching the error message on the internet with no luck.

My hard drive is filling up with videos I'd like to burn and I'm at wit's end. For absolutely no reason I can discern, Encore has decided that none of the audio files I try to add are good enough for it. Is it possible that for some unknown reason, it will only accept AAC files or wma some other format? I don't know how to convert to any other format, but if that were the case, at least I'd have a clue what to do.

Thanks,

Phil Hall

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 21, 2005 at 3:30:00 pm

It should accept the WAV files without error. MP3, AIF, and WMA are also supported.

Can Windows Media Player open these MP3 (and WAV) files and play them correctly?

Return to posts index

Philip Hall
on Jul 21, 2005 at 6:05:54 pm

Joe Bowden wrote:

> It should accept the WAV files without error. MP3, AIF, and WMA are
> also supported. Can Windows Media Player open these MP3 (and WAV)
> files and play them correctly

Windows Media Player plays them with no problem. But I think I've discovered the solution. I had thought it might be DRM, even though that's normally only associated with AAC and WMA files. Anyway, this morning, just before I shut the computer off to leave for work, I created one more bogus project. When I tried to import a non-DRM mp3 directly to the menu, I got the same error message. Putting it in the project window first and then dragging it onto the menu didn't help either. But I happened to notice the project settings for the file said "Don't Transcode". And I couldn't help thinking "Why not?" What have I got to lose on a bogus project? I transcoded the mp3 and it played perfectly when I previewed it. I assure you I've never transcoded an mp3 before. I normally never transcode anything unless I know it's in a format that Encore won't accept.

So I'll try it again when I get home tonight, but I think the mystery is solved.

Thanks,

Phil H.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]