FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the limits of a DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David
What's the limits of a DVD
on Jul 18, 2005 at 3:04:52 pm

I'm going to make a DVD with more than 150 small video's. Then I got the problem, "The DVD can't have more that 99 Timelines", is it true?

Is there any limit of numbers of Menus?

Is there a limit of time for a Animated menu ?

May other limits???

Best Regards

David

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: What's the limits of a DVD
on Jul 18, 2005 at 4:15:32 pm

The DVD spec has these limitations:
No more than 99 video streams (timelines)
No more than 1 GB of disc space allowed for menus
No more than 36 buttons per 4:3 menu, no more than 18 buttons per 16:9 menu

There are others, of course, like the maximum number of audio tracks (8) or subtitle tracks (32) that you can have per timeline. Check out DVDDemystified.com, or better yet buy the book. Encore also has it's own limitations. I ran into a problem once where I found out that no more than 42 buttons can access a single timeline. (This was a problem when creating an animated transition from the menu.)

For your project, you could combine some of the animations into single timelines, as long as you don't mind them playing through to each other. It sounds like you've also thought of creating them as motion menus, which is a good thought, but you might exceed the 1 GB menu limit very quickly that way.

Return to posts index

David
on Jul 18, 2005 at 4:53:46 pm

Thanks Timothy

Is the 1 GB for all the menus on the DVD or each menu?

My problem is that the animations can't be combine on one timeline. Because I got about 40 movies and they all got 4 angles. (All 40 movies should not be on same timeline)
Adobe Encore can't make angles?

Do you got any suggestion how to make the DVD?

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Jul 18, 2005 at 5:43:43 pm

1 GB is the max content for all menus on the disc.

Adobe Encore doesn't have a feature to set up multiple angles. You could submit a feature request to Adobe for it:
http://www.adobe.com/support/feature.html

Well, you're between a rock and a hard place here. You don't have to put all 40 videos in the same timeline, but if you have any way that you can group a few together, you might want to do that. For example, you could group all the angles for each movie into the same timeline. Just design the menus so that the user knows what will happen when they press play.

The only other way I can see you going (other than making two discs) is to make some of the videos into menus. The only real downsides to this is that you can't place chapter points, subtitles, or mutiple audio tracks in a menu. And you'll have to be careful not to exceed the 1 GB limit. If you use it for the shorter videos and maybe compress them a little more, you might be able to squeeze them in there, assuming your actual menus are static and don't take up much room.

Return to posts index

David
on Jul 19, 2005 at 10:25:25 am

Thanks again Timothy.

I have just counted all my clips, there are 400 clips. And are about 1 min each.

Do you know any DVD Maker software, that can make "Angles" or "End Chapter marks"?

And do you know if I get a software that can make "angles", is it then possible to combine 4 clips on one timeline. Like Sound in different tracks?

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Jul 19, 2005 at 2:36:46 pm

[David] "Do you know any DVD Maker software, that can make "Angles" or "End Chapter marks"?"

The only authoring package that I am certain can create multiple angle DVDs is Sonic Scenarist. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]