FORUMS: list search recent posts

trouble creating a button with a picture as highlight

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy D
trouble creating a button with a picture as highlight
on Jul 14, 2005 at 12:56:24 pm

I am trying to create a menu in Encore DVD so that I have just text as buttons and when I rollover them a picture I have chosen will appear. I know there is a way to do it by duplicating the existing menu and link the first to the new one with the picture on it but this is rather messy especially if you have too many buttons. I am trying to do it the Photoshop way by making the picture as a highlight layer. While in Photoshop, I have the background picture placed, then I create a new group for the button with the prefix (+). Furthermore, I create the text then I add the picture close to the text as an other layer with the prefix (=1). But when I save the psd file and import it to Encore DVD as a menu, I don't get the right result. Instead, when the button is selected the picture does not appear, only a white fill with the same dimensions of the picture instead. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: trouble creating a button with a picture as highlight
on Jul 14, 2005 at 4:32:00 pm

Jimmy-

The reason rollover buttons are so messy is because the DVD specification doesn't support them. What you want to do is not possible to build inside of a single menu. You have to create multiple menus.

The reason you're getting a big white box instead of your picture is because you defined it as a highlight layer. Highlight layers only show the image area of the layer as a single highlight color.

Go to the Adobe Evangelists site and watch the video on Highlight Colors - The Lowdown on Subpictures. It should help you understand how subpicture highlights function.
http://www.adobeevangelists.com/encore/index.html

Doog's site has some good tutorials you should look over, too:
http://doogs.sitesled.com/downloads.htm

Return to posts index

David Garrett
Re: trouble creating a button with a picture as highlight
on Jul 15, 2005 at 3:51:08 am

The only way that i know how to do this is to use multiple menus, it is messy as you say.. but it's the only workaround for it to be done using a full colour picture.
If you only had 3 colours in the picture then you could create a 3 colour sub picture by seperating each colour onto it's own layer and giving each of them a different highlight number (=1 , = 2 , =3)
and then setting the "edit menu colour sets within Encore..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]