FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy protect my DVD's ?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derrick van Niekerk
Copy protect my DVD's ?
on Jul 7, 2005 at 10:28:18 pm

Hi there all,

First of thanks to all the helpfull people in these forums, you guys have helped me out many a time!!!

My question is this. Is there a way that Encore DVD 1.5 can copy protect my DVD's when I burn them from a standard DVD Burner ?

Thanks,
Derrick

Return to posts index

Derrick van Niekerk
Re: Copy protect my DVD's ?
on Jul 7, 2005 at 10:43:44 pm

aaah, found the answer.

Can't be done. The Media cannot support it. you need 2054 byte sector size. DVD-R has 2048 2054 byte sector size, thus, no go.

Thanks,
Derrick

Return to posts index

Nate
by
on Jul 8, 2005 at 1:58:30 pm

Hey Derrick,

I don't believe it's entirely fail-proof, as someone could probably break through it fairly easily, but Encore does have a copy protection option. Look in the Encore help files under "copy protection" to see what exactly it entails.

Nate

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Jul 8, 2005 at 3:44:52 pm

Encore offers what everyone else offers. You flag for CSS, and your replicator stamps CSS encrypted DVDs. You flag it, they press it. Just remember, your replicator, not duplicator, is part of this effort. If you are burning DVD-Rs, you do not have this option. You need to be able to flag the project in Encore, then write to DLT, then have it stamped if CSS is what you want. Even then, there are lots of free applications on the web that will cut through CSS like a hot butter knife through butter. That doesn't mean everyone out there uses such applications, but it does mean, if teh user is somewhat savy, CSS won't stop them.

-Alex

Return to posts index

Derrick van Niekerk
on Jul 8, 2005 at 9:39:04 pm

Yeah, it's pretty easy to break through, but it does stop a few of copying the disc.

I'm gonna do it through a replicator.

The other reason is that the DVD-Logo may only be used legally on pressed DVD's not burner written disc and I reallt want to use the DVD-Video Logo.

Thanks,
Derrick

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Jul 8, 2005 at 9:52:08 pm

Use of the DVD Video logo is not automatic because you are replicating. A DVD-R is a DVD-ROM, and thus never going to have the Video logo. But replication doesn't imply you get the logo rights either. Either you must have the right, or as a pass-through, your replicator must.

Check with your replicator and ask if you can use the logo when using their replication services.

From the DVD FLLC

----

There are limited instances in which the Logo may be used by non-licensees. They may include:

1. Journalists and publishers who wish to use the Logo in connection with news stories/articles about DVD and/or the DVD Format;

2. Speakers and panelists who wish to use the Logo in their presentation materials at seminars; and

** Video productions, authoring studios, contents providers

If they use DVD FLLC

Return to posts index

Derrick van Niekerk
on Jul 8, 2005 at 9:57:31 pm

I comunnicated with the DVD FLLC through email and Mr. Masahito Tanabe in a very detailed explanation gave me all the rules and I respect them all, and that is why I am going to use a local company CDT (South AfricA) as the replicator. They are listed on the DVD FLLC.

Am I correct in saying that if they replicate it would be legal to place the DVD-Video logo on my product? Please let me know if there is any other steps I need to complete as I want this product to be 100% legal.

Thanks,
Derrick

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Jul 8, 2005 at 10:03:33 pm

That sounds fine, however just ask the replicator if it is indeed okay. It should be fine with them.

The replication company will print the surface art so they will already know. Don't feel funny for asking. They get asked this all the time. They will be asking you for disc art anyway.

-Alex

Return to posts index

Derrick van Niekerk
on Jul 9, 2005 at 6:18:40 am

I'll do that thanks.

- Derrick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]