FORUMS: list search recent posts

PLAY ALL TROUBLE

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jtiis
PLAY ALL TROUBLE
on Jun 30, 2005 at 5:38:34 am

Hi all,

I've followed the instructions for making a "Play All" menu that Timothy Kurkoski put together - but it just won't function correctly. After every thing is link right with correct end actions I run it in preview and it will play the first two clips but then returns to the general menus that all the individual clips are located on. The timeline for that second clip is set for it to move on the the third clip, but it won't.

Can anyone help me finish this project .... this is my last step but I can't get it to work.

Exhausted - jtiis

Return to posts index

Roadkill
Re: PLAY ALL TROUBLE
on Jun 30, 2005 at 11:07:56 am

jtiis,

Please check the override setting in the Properties of every timeline. They should all be "Not Set".

Return to posts index

jtiis
on Jun 30, 2005 at 2:32:45 pm

Yes, they're all "not set".... this is so odd... jti

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Jun 30, 2005 at 4:20:36 pm

It sounds like you may have reversed where to apply the end actions and overrides.

The normal end actions of the timelines should be to each other. End Action of Timeline 1 = Timeline 2, End Action of Timeline 2 = Timeline 3. This sets up the "play all" behavior.

The overrides are applied to the buttons to play the individual sgements. Button for timeline 1 override = menu, button for timeline 2 = menu, etc.

If you already have it set up correctly, it may be time to break the project down a bit. Turn off all overrides. Verify that clicking the Play All button will play all. Then verify that clicking each individual timeline plays that timeline, then commits the end action you've assigned to that timeline (which, as per above, should be that it continues to play the other timelines). Once you've verified that the project functions as it should without overrides applied, then add them.

One final thought- are you using Encore 1.0 or 1.5? 1.5 has the Playlist function, which rendered my tutorial obsolete (it was written for Encore 1.0). You can use that instead to quickly set up a "play all" list.

Return to posts index

jtiis
on Jul 1, 2005 at 4:16:38 am

wow, a great forum.... thanks for your help .... and I need more as I'm new to all this.

First, I did get the play all to work... i deleted all links and started from scratch ... don't know what it fixed, but something cuz it works .... and, now .... i hear about the same feature built into 1.5 which I am using ... hmmm ... guess the book i got on encore needs to be read ...

NOW, here's my new problem .... got all the links and play all to work ... pop the DVD in and .... darn it - the bitrates and just too high ... most are 8 to 8.2.

So first question ... for future recording how can I slow this down.... I"m using a Canon xl2... do I find a way to set the speed on the camera, when importing through premiere or what?

Second question ... some of the video clips I"m using were already dinked around with by some dude on a Mac .... his rates were like 8.6 ... don't know if I can use his stuff... but my bottom line Question is:...

HOW CAN I CHANGE BITRATES TO SOMETHING LIKE 6500 or 7000 ?

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated .... and once again thanks for the responses already.

jtiis

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Jul 1, 2005 at 3:11:04 pm

Encore can re-transcode anything you need it to. Just right-click on the file in the Project window, choose Transcode Settings, and pick a preset. If you want to make your own preset, choose File > Transcode > Edit Transcode Presets.

You can't change the bitrate on a DV camera, it's locked. Even if you could, it wouldn't matter, because the bitrate only becomes important when the video is transcoded to MPEG-2.

The best way to change the bitrate would be to go back to your source video files or editing application (depending on when and how you transcoded to MPEG-2) and re-transcode using a new setting. As for the files from your friend with the Mac, in the best possible scenario you could ask him to re-transcode his files, but if that's not possible then Encore can do it for you. Going from 8Mb to 7Mb shouldn't cause much quality loss.

Return to posts index

jtiis
on Jul 4, 2005 at 6:13:10 am

Tim,

Boy, you and the others here have been amazingly helpful.... I hate to ask more, but I've gotta. I found out how to do the transcoding in Encore and that went well, the playback in now smooth...phew...

but, in redoing things my play all when screwy again .... I undid and redid everything again, but this time I'm still getting one clip to return to the main menu instead of playing on through to the next piece .... man, everything looks right...

BUT, in one of your prior posts yous aid 1.5 made your tutorial on play all useless as it's now built in ... but I can't find it and my encore book doesn't talk about it...

can you tell me how to make it work using 1.5 built in feature.

Thanks a million if you can help me here.

jtiis

Return to posts index

jtiis
Re: PLAY ALL TROUBLE FIXED !!!
on Jul 4, 2005 at 5:08:42 pm

Hey Tim,

I did more googles and found adobe has the total training what's new QTs on their site that demoed what I needed.... wow, so easy once explained... as I posted earlier I REALLY appreciate this forum and will be back not just to ask for more (though surely will be some of that) - but to help others if I can .... to have someone assist and not just look for assistance is sooo nice ...

thanks again all who responded.

jtiis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]