FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding chapters increases size of my project??

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff
Adding chapters increases size of my project??
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 1:12:35 am

I have a 5 gig mpeg. I put it in a timeline and mark 10 chapters. That's the timeline that I put in the "play all" option.

Then I took a copy of the full timeline and made it start at Chapter 10, and pointed that to "chapter 10" on the submenu.

Then I made a copy of that chapter 10 section, cut off chapter 10, made it start at chapter 9, and made that the "chapter 9" link from the menu.

And so on -- copied the timeline each time, trimming off what I don't need later in the timeline, and making it start from the chapter I wanted it to start from.

And now my project shows it's 30 gigs in size! What, is it going to re-encode each timeline each time I have a chapter, the entire timeline or something? Can someone explain what's going on and how to do chapters so they don't duplicate footage I've already encoded (at the lowest quality possible)?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: Adding chapters increases size of my project??
on Jun 28, 2005 at 5:40:16 pm

Jeff,

So you have 11 timelines? One for play all and 10 others - one for each chapter?

If my understanding is correct, why did you do that? What are you trying to achieve?

Dave

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 5:43:24 pm

That is correct. I think someone else advised me to make a separate timeline for each chapter, that this is the only way to play, say, chapter 6, without also playing chapter 7. But I guess I'm supposed to encode each chapter separately? And then do some sort of playlist in order for them all to play together? I had already encoded this to mpeg before going into Encore.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Jun 28, 2005 at 6:30:52 pm

Jeff,
"But I guess I'm supposed to encode each chapter separately?

Yes, unfortunatly that's the only way that Encore will let you play a single chapter.

"And then do some sort of playlist in order for them all to play together?"

You can use the Playlist feature or you can set the "end action" and "override" for each timeline.

"I had already encoded this to mpeg before going into Encore."

There is a nice little program from Pegasys software called the TMPGEnc MPEG Editor. This will allow you to trim an existing mpeg file and save it to a new file. It will only re-encode if it has to (which is usually just one GOP where you make an edit) and so it is very fast. It only cost about $50 so it might be worth the price just to avoid hours of redoing the encoding.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Jun 29, 2005 at 11:25:45 pm

Thanks very much, very helpful. Appreciate it. Am learning about the nice features (and the few workarounds) on this program.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]