Preserving Menu compression result to match Video compression

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GOMO
Preserving Menu compression result to match Video compression
by
on Jun 18, 2005 at 12:01:02 pm

Hi
- I have project with multiple timelines and even more menus.
All video will be exported from Premiere Pro via Pro Coder2 so the result will have some Pro Coder specific compression artifacts ( MPEG style )- a little but there will be a difference between Timeline and Menu in looks. ( menus are PSD-s )
So...
How is it possible to have Still menus look the same as Timeline it ends??
(I dont want to put uncompressed material into Encore and output all together.)
Last frame of Tomeline video is the same as in Menu - so if Timeline is from Pro Coder and Menu will be compressed via Encore output differences are seen...

Any help, how to solve it?

Thanks in advance all You Gurus

Return to posts index

Roadkill
Re: Preserving Menu compression result to match Video compression
on Jun 19, 2005 at 1:08:21 pm

Unless you got tons of menus in your project, the easiest solution would be to use motion menus instead of still menus. Create the entire menu as a short DV AVI clip, including any button shapes (except subpicture highlighting) in something Premiere or After Effects and encode to MPEG with ProCoder - like the rest of your video.

In Encore only add the subpicture highlighting. That way the MPEG encoding should remain unchanged.

Return to posts index

GOMO
by
on Jun 19, 2005 at 3:57:32 pm

Hi Roadkill!

Thanks again - :) You saved my life about half a year ago - i was encountering problems with tons of menus then - and now current project is pretty much the same as it was then, except coding - pro coder outputs much better quality mpeg's than adobe- so that's the reason i'm here. :) Right now i have even more menus that needs to be still unless somebody hit the button on the remote- so it is probably impossible to make it with motion menus, but i dont know for sure...or maybe poster last frames in some way? ( there will be no visible buttons - only one to make it go forward on )

Anyway i owe You couple of beers
:)

Return to posts index

Roadkill
on Jun 20, 2005 at 8:14:59 pm

Hi Gomo,

AFAIK Encore doesn't accept single frame MPEG files as source for a still menu. If it did, that would have been the best solution; both the video and the still menu background could have been encoded with ProCoder.

The only route that I can think up at the moment is to create a couple of still menus in a dummy project in Encore, build a Video_TS folder, extract the single frame MPEGs from the VOB and then play around with every setting you can find in ProCoder until you get as close as possible to the "look" of the Encore encoding and finally use those settings for the actual video.

Especially if you are on NTSC (I am a PAL person) the "601" setting could be important. Also see this thread on the Canopus ProCoder forum:
Color space conversion

Return to posts index

GOMO
by
on Jun 24, 2005 at 11:40:42 pm

ok

well it worked out that i'll stay with it , after some tweaking results are pretty much the same.

Thanx !!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]