FORUMS: list search recent posts

I want 16:9 anamorphic footage to NEVER play as 4:3 pan-and-scan - how???

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Kelly
I want 16:9 anamorphic footage to NEVER play as 4:3 pan-and-scan - how???
on Jun 16, 2005 at 2:10:14 pm

Hi,

I have a 16:9 anamorphic project that was done in Premiere Pro 1.5 and I'd like to make a DVD. I've tried encoding a DVD using Encore 1.0. If I tell Encore to encode the film as a 16:9 DVD then it's left to the mercy of the viewer's DVD player as to whether or not it's shown as 16:9 or 4:3 pan-and-scan. This is bad news because it wasn't framed to be 4:3 safe.

Am I correct in thinking that the only way round this problem is to encode the film as 16:9 letterbox? And am I also right in thinking that this option sucks because you loose 300 lines of resolution?

Thanks,
Jack

====================
Jack Kelly
London
Dir / Prod / Camera
====================

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: I want 16:9 anamorphic footage to NEVER play as 4:3 pan-and-scan - how???
on Jun 16, 2005 at 4:16:58 pm

Yes and yes. You're at the mercy of the viewer and their DVD player. Even if it's letterboxed 4:3, they may decide to use the "zoom in" feature. Some people just can't live without utilizing every last pixel in their display. Don't get me started on the time my father figured out how to use the zoom control on his DVD player...

Return to posts index

Jack Kelly
on Jun 16, 2005 at 5:48:41 pm

Thanks loads for the very quick reply.

Urg. What a pain.

I come from a background in print and, in comparison, video distribution has an aweful lot of slack in the system. You have so little control over the final look. I at least expected to have some say over the damn framing... sure, I'm well aware that the average consumer doesn't know their brightness from their saturation... but at least let me frame the image! Urg urg urg. There really should be overrides available so you can encode a DVD to ONLY show in the aspect ratio it was shot for.

What methods

Jack.

====================
Jack Kelly
London
Dir / Prod / Camera
====================

Return to posts index

Jack Kelly
on Jun 16, 2005 at 6:12:28 pm

woops... I cut myself off!...

...I meant to say...

...What methods do you guys use to ensure that your 16:9 shows are shown as 16:9? Is it worth putting a little note on the back cover of the DVD to explain the situation to the viewer and hope they can be bothered to change their DVD player's setup? Or put something in the menu? Or should I stop being so anal and just deal with the fact that most people really don't care?

Thanks,
Jack

====================
Jack Kelly
London
Dir / Prod / Camera
====================

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Jun 17, 2005 at 12:28:40 am

While I would love to be able to force people to just leave their DVD players at the default settings, most of them just don't understand. They'll likely ignore what you say.

The best I think you could do would be to put a friendly warning on the package (not in the DVD, as they'll probably feel it intrusive). Possibly as an insert in the case. Something like, "This film was composed to be viewed on a widescreen display. If you have a standard television display, please turn off any zooming or cropping features on your DVD player and turn on the letterboxing feature so that you may experience the full breadth of the . Thank you."

Return to posts index

Jack Kelly
on Jun 17, 2005 at 11:52:46 am

Great idea, thanks.

Jack

====================
Jack Kelly
London
Dir / Prod / Camera
====================

Return to posts index

geo
by
on Jun 19, 2005 at 5:38:19 pm

Upgrade to Encore 1.5.

There are some settings in the internal tables in the DVD files that are done differently between 1.0 and 1.5. The DVD player looks at these settings to determine whether it should automatically build a letterbox image of crop the sides of a 16:9 image when you are using a 4:3 screen.

With a DVD authored using Encore 1.0, some DVD players crop the sides unless you go in and change the player's settings.

You could also use applications such as ifoedit to make changes in the DVD data prior to burning the DVD.

hth,
geo.

Return to posts index

Jack Kelly
on Jun 21, 2005 at 2:38:10 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, maybe I should upgrade to Encore 1.5. Does anyone know when the next version of Encore will be released? Even better, does anyone know when the 64-bit version of Encore will come out?

Many thanks,
Jack

====================
Jack Kelly
London
Dir / Prod / Camera
====================

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]