FORUMS: list search recent posts

Secure Server DVD distribution

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randal Johnson
Secure Server DVD distribution
on May 25, 2005 at 2:51:51 pm

Hi there,

I have a client that wants it's DVD's (training videos) on a secure server. Basically what I need to know is how do I facilitate this? Ideally I'd just write the DVD to the hard drive instead of an actual disc and have a software DVD reader play it. I've tried doing this by outputting to a DVD folder and then using a software player to access the folder. The problem is that I have no idea what TSO to hit and everyone that I try to open just flashes black video and then stops. This can't be a unique scenario it's just a matter of what is done typically.

Thanks,

Randal

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: Secure Server DVD distribution
on May 25, 2005 at 3:15:42 pm

Randal,

Typically the VIDEO_TS.IFO file should work to get playback started.

What DVD playback software are you using?

I assume this is an internal network over which they will access these files?

Dave

Return to posts index

Randal Johnson
on May 25, 2005 at 4:30:06 pm

Yes it's an internal network and as far as player goes. I'll be happy with one that works. The one that I've been typically using works for DVD's but for whatever reason doesn't like doing the TSO's. What have you used in the past that's worked?

Thanks,

Randal

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on May 26, 2005 at 1:44:52 pm

Randal,

After reading your initial post I thought I'd experiment. Copied a VIDEO_TS folder from a DVD I happened to have on my harddrive to a networked computer and attempted playing it across the network. Actually tried it on two different machines, one that I know is on the same 1Gb ethernet switch I am on, and to another that is on a 100Mb ethernet hub.

It played fine from either location. But our network has a pretty low traffic level most of the time. Hard to say what would happen on a busy network or if a lot of people were trying to view the same DVD.

For playback software I tried both InterVideo's WinDVD5 and, as I'm on XP pro, Windows Media Player. In both cases I started playback by 'opening' the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in the VIDEO_TS folder. WinDVD is my default player so I had to use 'Open With...' to choose Windows Media Player as the application to open the file. Both applications played the DVD just fine.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]