FORUMS: list search recent posts

Endless loop dies?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Slocomb
Endless loop dies?
on May 23, 2005 at 3:51:06 pm

I have made an endless loop 15 minute DVD that works great. It is used at a retail outlet that sells my DVD, and works well generating sales. The problem is that the DVD "dies" after one day. The player says "can't read disc". I think this also happened at another outlet a while back. What do I do?

Do I need to use the best grade DVD media made, or the slowest burn, or is it normal that DVDs die if played continuosly?

Return to posts index

Roadkill
Re: Endless loop dies?
on May 23, 2005 at 10:53:36 pm

It isn't normal, but it can happen. Things you can do to make your DVDs as compatible as possible:
  • Keep the maximum MPEG-2 bit rate at 7Mb/s and let Encore convert the audio to Dolby Digital (AC3).
  • Use good quality brand name DVD-Rs like Maxell or Verbatim. (Not everything that has a brand name is good quality, e.g. Memorex DVD-Rs are usually pretty bad.)
  • Keep your burner's firmware up to date. Firmware updates contain new and improved "burning strategies" for specific media.
  • Burn at 1x speed. If you must burn faster, do so at 2x or 4x, but not at 8x. There are very few burner/media combinations that produce usable results at 8x.
  • Never use adhesive labels. Sticky labels will cause the number of read errors to shoot up. If you want to label your DVDs, use a CD/DVD capable (inkjet) printer and printable DVD media.

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Jun 13, 2005 at 2:18:33 am

Is this advice still applicable with today's DVD burners and media? I burn my DVDs at 4x and have very few bad discs. On the other hand, I have tried to create a loopable DVD using Encore DVD and have had endless problems. Even when I preview in the program, the looping doesn't work properly. I have 3 music videos on a DVD. I have a menu with 3 buttons (one for each music video) and then a button below to loop them all. The button below plays the first video timeline. That timeline is set to play the next vide as an end action. The second plays the third, etc. But when I preview, it plays all three videos in sequence fine, then it starts to play each one twice for soe reason. It's very odd. Then, sometimes it jumps back to the menu. Does anyone know if this is still just glitchy software? I hope the pro-sumer DVD technology can work out some of these bugs and inconsistencies. Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

Steve Slocomb
on Jun 13, 2005 at 3:38:59 pm

Strange...my endless loops work fine...just the discs themselves burn up.

Now I have made some that put the same movie on repeatedly, instead of just plaing the 15minute section over and over. I have the movies layed on 5 times, and then it starts over. I will hear back as to how they are working. I did use more expensive media and burned at 1X.

Return to posts index

Roadkill
on Jun 13, 2005 at 8:44:23 pm

Yes, the advice still applies. No, probably not glitchy software, but incorrect use of the override command.

What you are describing sounds like the override used in the wrong place. If I understand correctly, you want 3 buttons that each play a timeline once and 1 button that plays all three timelines forever. One option to set this up is like this:
  • Set the end action of each timeline to link to the next. Timeline A, links to B, B links to C and C links to A. There should be no override set in the Properties of any of the timelines.
  • Link the "loop all" button to timeline A.
  • Set the override in the Properties of the "play A once" button to link back to the menu and link the button to timeline A. Do the same for the remaining two buttons.

If you are using Encore 1.5 you could also use the playlist feature instead of the override:
  • First make sure that there are no overrides set anywhere.
  • Set the end actions of all three timelines to return to the menu.
  • Link the three "play once" buttons to their timelines. No overrides.
  • Create a playlist D and add timelines A, B and C to it.
  • Create an empty playlist E.
  • Set the end action of playlist D to playlist E. Set the end action of E to link to D.
  • Link the "loop all" button to playlist D.

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Jun 15, 2005 at 2:58:06 am

Your first suggestion is what I did in my DVD project, except that my timelines had the override set to the menu. But I've read that the playlist feature gives much more flexibility to DVD navigation. I have Encore 1.5, so I will probably try it out. Thank you so much for your advice. It's been VERY helpful!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]