FORUMS: list search recent posts

LUTs from Sony?

COW Forums : Sony Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Galli
LUTs from Sony?
on Jul 3, 2020 at 3:10:04 am

Aloha all!
I've just been asked to edit a short that was shot on a Sony A7Riii using Cine-4. I'm looking for some handy LUTs, and am not having any luck. Does Sony not have a LUT library available? That can't be! Surely one of you has the url handy?

Mahalo!
Tom G

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Andy Ford
Re: LUTs from Sony?
on Jul 7, 2020 at 9:56:56 pm

Here is a start: https://pro.sony/en_ME/technology/professional-video-lut-look-up-table

-------------------------------------------------
Video Producer / Digital Marketer / Gear Reviewer / Author
-- http://www.AndyFordVideo.com --

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on Jul 9, 2020 at 9:51:11 pm

Thanks Andy!
I had actually already found that page. It's quite a disappointment, don't you agree? It says things like:
Sony engineers have developed LUTs designed to facilitate specific functions for filmmakers. These are all available free of charge.

and
There are a wide variety of LUTs available from independent filmmakers.

And how many LUTs are actually available for download?
Three.

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Andy Ford
on Jul 14, 2020 at 8:54:56 pm

Tom, yes it is absolutely a disappointing collection considering it is Sony. I guess they assume many people are creating/saving their own based on their needs. For some shoots, I actually use a color checker when shooting log and then use the color match feature for my color checker in Resolve, then go from there. I have noticed that there is a Cine4 LUT from pixel samy and also cody blue. To be honest, like Brad says, they appear pretty close so it may even be done with some advanced curves.

Video Producer / Digital Marketer / Reviewer / Author
http://www.AndyFordVideo.com

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jul 12, 2020 at 2:57:26 pm

My understanding is that Cine4 is fairly close to Rec709, so unlike S-Log you don't actually need a camera LUT (aka technical LUT) to bring the footage into the Rec709 colorspace. You should be able to do it through a simple lift-gamma-gain adjustment or using an s-curve, if you are grading by hand, or if you prefer using LUTs you could apply any third-party LUT such as a film emulation LUT or a "look" LUT. In other words, I don't think you need a Sony-specific camera LUT for Cine4; those would be more typically used for transforming log footage to Rec 709.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]