FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAW Recording on SONY A7S III via USB-C

COW Forums : Sony Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Hakes
RAW Recording on SONY A7S III via USB-C
on Jul 20, 2018 at 9:00:17 pm

Just wondering if it's even a possibility that a SONY mirrorless camera in the near future would be able to output a RAW image sequence using the new USB-C technology. I know the USB-C write speeds are super fast and the new POCKET 4K camera is going to be a major competitor of SONY when it comes out. Is it theoretically possible? Is it likely? Has SONY said anything about bringing out an A7S III? Thanks for your thoughts. I'm considering leaving SONY and switching to Black Magic fully.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: RAW Recording on SONY A7S III via USB-C
on Jul 20, 2018 at 11:20:34 pm

The A7sIII has not been announced yet, and Sony typically doesn't give out details in advance, though I do know secondhand that prototypes are in the field (a friend of a friend is a beta tester). But given that USB-C is NOT standard for any kind of video production hardware, my guess would be that the answer is likely no. But your guess is as good as mine!

If you want to give up Sony for Blackmagic, you may be in for some unpleasant surprises vis-a-vis timely availability of hardware, as well as stable functionality prior to firmware version 2.0.

Return to posts index

Sam Hakes
Re: RAW Recording on SONY A7S III via USB-C
on Jul 21, 2018 at 11:58:00 am

Yeah I have a Blackmagic URSA Pro at work and I really like it. I feel it has a more cinematic look and I like the colors. The thing I don't like about SONY for my personal work is that I keep buying SONY lenses, but I'm locked into SONY if something cool comes along like the 4K pocket camera. I was recently shooting some photo timelapes with the a7r II and the look is so nice I wish there was a RAW sequence available for a SONY camera. I also shot a project on the FS5 RAW recently and I liked the look of that too. It's a very different feel than the s-log. Anyway, maybe it's time to invest in lenses that can adapt to more than just my SONY.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]