FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 vs EX3

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
EX1 vs EX3
on Mar 28, 2018 at 4:58:48 pm

I have a client looking to shoot interviews at a conference. They requested a Sony EX320. Kinds hard to find that camera for rental.

I do have an EX1. They asked for an EX3. To me these are the same cameras . What advantage would a EX3 offer?

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 vs EX3
on Mar 28, 2018 at 5:39:02 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Mar 28, 2018 at 5:42:08 pm

[Greg Ball] "What advantage would a EX3 offer?"

Lens options if that's important to them. Otherwise you won't see any difference in the recording.

You can certainly buy a 320.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140499-REG/sony_pxw_x320_xdcam_soli...

Perhaps they're willing to go with EX3 because they want something better than the 14x that had built in.

Adding:
Clients don't always know what's currently available. It's always best to asked them what "features" they need rather than camera models. Do they need long reach? Low light? Will the be doing heavy grading? Does it need to cut with pre-existing material?

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Mar 28, 2018 at 6:03:22 pm

Why would better than 14x mean anything with interviews?

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 28, 2018 at 8:06:31 pm

[Greg Ball] "Why would better than 14x mean anything with interviews?"

I have no idea which why you should talk to your client.
Having owned and EX1, I'm much happier shooting interviews with my Z90.
This is why I never accept client camera request without hearing them explain their motives.
Heck at most conferences I'd much prefer a camera that's more inconspicuous and allows me to work in smaller spaces and with better quality. In some cases a larger sensor shallower DOF is better if the background isn't something that needs to be obvious. In that case the FS5 would be an even better choice.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 28, 2018 at 9:47:50 pm

As Craig says, these two cameras are identical save for the ability to change lenses on the EX 3. Actually, there is another slight difference in that the EX 3 has rather a good eye piece which lowers over the side screen, thereby providing a magnified image of the screen which might be useful for more accurate focussing and, certainly, make life easier in bright sunlight. Otherwise, they are the same camera.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Mar 29, 2018 at 9:19:40 am

hi michael,

i simply bought a hoodman and get the same benefits 😉

if, (but i doubt it), i was to get another camera i'd certainly be looking at the z90. interestingly enough, i've been using my nex 7 as a b roll and it cuts seamlessly with my ex1. i'm so taken with it that i'm looking at buying a couple of primes for it.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 30, 2018 at 1:41:28 pm

Tell me, why the Z90 rather than the Z150?

I know the Z90 is more recent, with a better screen and auto focus, but the big drawback for me is the absence of an iris ring on the lens barrel. I'm so used to the conventional three rings, focus, zoom and iris, still found on most pro and semi pro cameras. Both have the disaster of ramping of the aperture on zooming. This means that at any sort of tele setting you are limited to f4. That's a joke. You may be able to jack up the gain without too much quality loss but it makes it difficult to limit the DoF.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 30, 2018 at 1:54:53 pm

[Michael Slowe] "but the big drawback for me is the absence of an iris ring on the lens barrel."
I have no problem using the knurly knob for iris. For me the Z90 advantages far outweigh that.
If you're doing run and gun ENG, there's no other camcorder that beats the Z90. I'm able to grab shots that I'd have missed (trying to focus) otherwise. That's what the client sees.

Otherwise you can wait until NAB and see what Sony introduces.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]