FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canons Wide DR profile on a Sony Z90V?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CG Coffyn
Canons Wide DR profile on a Sony Z90V?
on Mar 5, 2018 at 6:24:31 pm

Currently we are using a Canon C100 MrkII and I love the Wide DR profile, though a bit noisy when I don't get the exposure spot on. Soon we will be switching to a Sony PXW Z90V camcorder. Is there anyway to recreate that Wide DR profile without going as extreme as S-Log2 or 3? I will be filming mostly in HD 4:2:2 10bit 50mbps.

For those that aren't familiar with Wide DR here's a def from AbelCine: As its name suggests, the Wide DR gamma setting allows users to capture a wider dynamic range than traditional Rec709-based gammas. Technically, it falls between Rec709 and Log, so while Log recordings require a post grade, Wide DR gives you the option to record more dynamic range from the sensor without needing to post grade your footage.

I have found a few posts about applying a LUT, but I want to record in something that will give me more dynamic range than straight Rec709 without the overhead of Log. One post recommended a Sony hypergamma profile, but it doesn't look like this more budgetary camera has those profiles.

Whatever you recommend, can I shoot with the profile in both outdoor extreme lighting conditions AND indoor scenes with no extreme lighting?

The profiles listed for the Z90V are:
Standard, Still, Cine1, Cine2, Cine3, Cine4, ITU709, ITU709 (800%), S-Log2, S-Log3, HLG, HLG1, HLG2, HLG3

Thanks for your responses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]